Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old August 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Default Events for multiple dynamically created controls

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so if this is in the wrong section, lemme know and I will post it somewhere else.

I am trying to dynamically create a bunch of labels (command buttons will work also) on a VBA form and capture the click event on all of them. I do not know at design time how many I am going to need. I have no problem creating the multiple labels. It is capturing the click event that is causing problem. Capturing events for the most recently created label is working fine, but not for all of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Puck312

Old August 26th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Authorized User

In VB6 this would be possible by setting up the label control as an array of labels (ie. lblTest(0), lblTest(1), lblTest(2), etc)

Unfortunately VBA doesn't support control arrays. To achieve this you'll need to use a technique whereby you sink in to a special contain class the control you have just created.

In other words, create a custom "label" class, one that exposes the Label object's events which you would like to capture (as well as any other properties). Create a new instance of the class for each label you create at runtime, and pass in a pointer to the new label control.

You then will probably want to create a collection class to contain each instance of your custom label class. This will allow you to iterate over the new set of objects more easily.

If none of this makes immediate sense to you, try searching google with something like "control arrays vba" and you should eventually find some examples of the technique

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Friend of Wrox

if it works for some labels and not other, there could be a problem in your code. Can you post it?
Marco

Old August 29th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Here is the code that I have in the form right now. Pretty much like some code that I found in another forum to to see if it would do what I was looking for.

Dim c() As MyCtrlEvents
Dim intLastTop As Integer
Dim intCount As Integer

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
   ReDim c(intCount + 1)
   Set c(intCount) = New MyCtrlEvents

Set c(intCount).MyBox = Me.Controls.Add ("Forms.Label.1")
   With c(intCount).MyBox
      intCount = intCount + 1
      intLastTop = intLastTop + 30
      .BackColor = vbWhite
      .Name = "LabelTest" & intCount
      .Top = intLastTop
      .Width = 72
      .Height = 18
      .Left = 20
   End With
End Sub

And here is the code from the MyCtrl class module:

Option Explicit
Public WithEvents MyBox As MSForms.Label

Private Sub MyBox_Click()
   MsgBox MyBox.Name & " click!"
End Sub

Old August 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Friend of Wrox

the problem is in

ReDim c(intCount + 1)
   Set c(intCount) = New MyCtrlEvents

you must "Redim preserve", otherwise Redim will create a new array; and I do not see where you increase intCount. Collections are much better than arrays in situation like this. Declare a Collection and set it in you Load event (that is, only once in your code) and then just Add elements to it like

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

dim ctl as new MyCtrlEvents
''
'' initliaze ctl here
''
if myCollection is nothing then set myCollection = new Collection
myCollection.Add ctl

Marco

Old August 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Marco,

Problem solved! Thanks for pointing out the Redim problem. I've been using MATLAB for the past couple of years and forgot that dynamically (re)sizing arrays isn't quite as straight forward in VB. I had tried usign a collection earlier and when I went back to look at it, I had the same type of problem with a Dim statement. oops. It's an obvious mistake once it's pointed out to you. Thanks a lot!

Puck312