Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Pro VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 10th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Authorized User

Default Creation of ActiveX DLL with VB6

Hi,

I am creating an ActiveX DLL in VB6.

The DLL itself is a simple function - nothing wrong with it.

When I compile the DLL, it seems like the DLL is created, but I get an error message pop-up, saying:

"Error accessing the system registry"

When I try to reference my DLL within my EXE project, I get the error message:

"Error 429 - ActiveX component can't create object"

Please tell me what to do to solve this problem.

This is the first time I have tried to create an ActiveX DLL and I am being let down at the first step! Arrrrgh!

Many thanks.

James

Old September 10th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

Make sure you are logged onto the computer as an administrator or power user (in NT/2K/XP).

When you compile the DLL it is trying to register itself, it needs to write to the registry (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) in order to successfully register. Only a computer administrator or a power user can alter the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry key.

Because you have not been able to register the DLL when you try to access it the error is raised. The DLL must be registered before you can use it.

Regards
Owain Williams
Old September 10th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Authorized User

owain,

Well, what can I say? A fantastic, straightforward answer that has solved it for me.

THANKS!!!

I was expecting a nasty afternoon of hacking around in the registry - I am so glad it is not that bad.

Thanks for your help.

James