Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 9th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Creating a Service in VB

Can anyone provide me with a web link or book I can read on how to create a Windows Service in VB (not VB.Net)?

Is it possible?

Regards
Owain Williams

Old January 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Friend of Wrox

Oh dear, perhaps I should have read through the previous posts before posting this one !

Dmitriy posted a question on 20th August 2003 entitled Windows NT service and Icon in the System Tray where he provided a link to vbCity.com that describes what is involved in Creating WinNT Services in VB. The article discuses how to create a service using VB6 (or 4 or 5), how to put an icon in the system tray and how to interact with it and how to turn the screen saver on or off.

If anyone has anything else to add then I would be very interested to know the details.

Regards
Owain Williams

Old January 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Friend of Wrox

Owain,

The only thing I might add is having created services in VB and VB.NET, if you can, reconsider going with .NET. It is more stable and it avoids a lot of the issues that crop up with a Service in VB 6.0.

If you are determined to go with VB 6.0 here is a sample using the NT Service:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mpot/so.../NTService.zip

Yehuda

Old January 9th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Friend of Wrox

Look at Q175948:
INFO: Running Visual Basic Applications as Windows NT Services

but I have to agree with Yehuda... stay away from it if you can! Because it CAN be done does not mean it MUST be done. I am the 'right tool for the job' guy. It is much much better to write your VB component as a standard ActiveX dll and to write a simple ATL server that call it (if you are not considering .NET)

Marco