Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB.NET 1.0 > Pro VB.NET 2002/2003
|
Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 For advanced Visual Basic coders working .NET version 2002/2003. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB.NET.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Remote debugging of a windows service

I have a service installed on a server and I want to debug it on my own machine. I have installed the remote debugger and made sure that the remote debugging service is running on the server, as well as my own service. I've then loaded up the relevant project on my own machine and attached the debugger to the process on the remote machine. However, when I set any breakpoints in the project code, I get the question mark in the breakpoint and the tooltip reads 'The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document'.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Authorized User

Hi

I would have said that you need to install the service on your development computer and then run the service locally, then attach the debugger to the running service. you must check the "Show system processes" for the process to show in the list, select the process and click attach. Next select the CLR from the available choices.

Please note you cannot debug the "Main" method, you might be able to debug the "OnStart" method, but it will be difficult. You could include a delay in the method to give you time to attach, though if this takes more than 30 seconds to start the start attempt wil time out.

If it is possible could you not put the code used in the service into a windows/console application to test and debug the code, once you know it works then move it back to a service.

Hope this helps

Duncan

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Friend of Wrox

Thanks for that, managed to get the remote debugging anyway by including the debugging symbols for the relevant assemblies. Now I just have to find out why it's not doing what it should be doing...