Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 For advanced Visual Basic coders working .NET version 2002/2003. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB.NET.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 4th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via ICQ to sidneyfuerte Send a message via AIM to sidneyfuerte Send a message via MSN to sidneyfuerte Send a message via Yahoo to sidneyfuerte
Default Application Deployment

Hi Everyone,

I have an project that is already completed and ready to be deployed. My problem is I do'nt know where to begin, this is my very first project done in .NET. My project is composed of a VB.NET application (using MS-Access as it's backend DB) and Web Services. Can somebody show me the right path on how to deploy this project?

Let me know if you need additional info.

Best Regards
Sidney

Old January 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Friend of Wrox

Technically speaking, a pure .NET application can be "installed" by just copying the compiled program files.

For more convenience you can use one of the many installer utilities to create an installation package of your application.

-Peter

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I too have had difficulty deploying a VB .NET application with an Access db. I tried two ways - with the wizard and with a manual deployment. When I select Project Output to the Application folder, the executable files do go BUT when the user deploys the application, there is nothing populated in the combo boxes. I also added the .mdb file and the class files BUT with no luck??

Thanks!

John

Old January 8th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

Where is your access database referenced in your connection string, i.e, what drive and path does it point to?

If it is different than where the installer puts it or where you copy it to, then it won't know what it is looking for. Try using Application.StartupPath and make sure to include your .mdb folder along with your project deployment.

J

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM

Try looking up Windows Installer Version 2.0 in the help, it explains what to do.

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM

sorry, disregard last email that's not it... in VB6 there is a package and deployment wizard i haven't been able to find it in .net yet... but I am sure its in there.

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM

from the contents area of VS sudio help
Deployment projects allow you to specify where and how your solution will be deployed both during and after development. A solution can contain multiple deployment projects and deployment projects can be configuration-dependent.

To create a new deployment project

On the File menu, point to Add, and then click New Project.
In the resulting Add New Project dialog box, select the Setup and Deployment Projects folder.
Choose the type of deployment project you want to create. For details, see Deployment Projects.
To add an existing deployment project to a solution

On the File menu, point to Add, and then click Existing Project.
In the resulting Add Existing Project dialog box, browse to the location of the deployment project and click Open.
Tip To see only deployment projects, select Setup and Deployment Projects in the Files of type box.