Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 2005 > Pro Visual Basic 2005
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Pro Visual Basic 2005 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 2005. Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro Visual Basic 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Default Stop MouseWheel from autogenerating scroll msgs?

I have a VirtualMode DataGridView that bogs down on using the mouse wheel to scroll and gets a backlog of messages such that it continues to scroll long after ceasing to turn the mouse wheel. This is because instead of generating one scrollbar message for each mouse wheel message it generates a separate scrollbar message for each line move, forcing the entire screen to refresh with each line added.

I've put in code to scroll multiple lines only once for each mouse wheel click, but I'm still having to shunt out all of the extra scrollbar messages and it is not easy. If I get out of sync as to how many scrollbar messages to shunt the scrolling goes out of whack. It would be far easier if I just didn't have to worry about shunting these useless messages.

So how do you prevent mouse wheel messages from creating scrollbar messages?
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Friend of Wrox

Just shooting from the hip here, but have you tried the .Handled statement in the mousewheel event procedure to eliminate further bubbling up (through the scrollbar event handler, for instance) of the messages?
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM

There is no Handled member of the MouseEventArgs class. You had me really excited there for a moment!

Old June 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Friend of Wrox

Do you think it might be possible to add something useful to the MouseWheel()'s "Handles" list the additional events so that all comers come to the same routine? (I don't really have a candidate in mind.)

Perhaps you could then use a global boolean to block re-entrance into that procedure until the time of your choosing. Perhaps that will allow you to put the brakes on just a little, and that will be enough.

I didn't realize that .handled was kind of limited to key events... Sorry.
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Looks like I have a couple of options, derive my own DataGridView and override the WndProc function, or check the sender in the grid's scroll handler and shunt the extra scroll messages manually.