Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Authorized User

Default Delete from 3 tables

Hi,

I am working on IBUYSTORE's db. I have added a backoffice/admin to the site.
I have a page where I retrieve a customer's details based on the customerid such as the following:
<b>
Dim Ssql As String = "SELECT O.CUSTOMERID, C.CUSTOMERID, C.PASSWORD, C.FULLNAME, C.EMAILADDRESS, O.ORDERID, OD.ORDERID , OD.PRODUCTID FROM customers AS C , ORDERS AS O , ORDERDETAILS AS OD WHERE C.customerID=O.CUSTOMERID AND OD.ORDERID=OD.ORDERID AND C.customerID = @cust_ID"

CMD As New SqlCommand(Ssql, oConn)
CMD.Parameters.Add("@cust_ID", id)
I am also using a sqldatareader.</b>

I have a delete button. If the site manager clicks on that button i want to delete all that customer's details including all his orders from both orders and orderdetails tables.
I am not sure how to accomplish it.
<b>
The tables are as follows:
Customers: Orders: OrderDetails
customerid customerid orderid
                       orderid
</b>
I tried the following delete:
<b>
strDelete = "DELETE FROM CUSTOMERS where CustomerID=@CUST_id; DELETE FROM ORDERS WHERE CUSTOMERID=@CUST_id; DELETE FROM ORDERDETAILS WHERE ORDERID=@orderID "</b>

Dim objCMD As New SqlCommand(strDelete, oConn)
        objCMD.Parameters.Add("@CUST_id", id)
        objCMD.Parameters.Add("@orderID", LBLORDER.Text)
        oConn.Open()
        objCMD.ExecuteNonQuery()
        oConn.Close()

I get the following error:
DELETE statement conflicted with COLUMN REFERENCE constraint 'FK_Orders_Customers'. The conflict occurred in database 'Store', table 'Orders', column 'CustomerID'. DELETE statement conflicted with COLUMN REFERENCE constraint 'FK_OrderDetails_Orders'. The conflict occurred in database 'Store', table 'OrderDetails', column 'OrderID'. The statement has been terminated. The statement has been terminated

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 9,763, Level: 42 Points: 9,763, Level: 42 Points: 9,763, Level: 42
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

In the table properties/design from Enterprse manager enable cascade delete. Otherwise you will have to delete the other way, i.e. delete the order details first fro that customer, then the orders for them and finally the customer.

--

Joe