Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 4th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Authorized User

Default Combining DTS Packages

I am using SQL Server 2k and I am kinda new to this so bear with me. I wanted to export a subset of a table to a text file so I could send it to someone else. I used the DTS wizard and I think I got it right cause I get a text file with the subset i want. I also had to do this for another table in the same db. My question is: is there a way for me to combine these two very similar packages into one package because I am going to be running them both frequently? I tried to make an empty package and drag and drop the others into it but it didn't work? It seems like if you go in and edit a package you can add as many tasks as you want but I haven't been able to create a package without the wizard yet. When i go into the editing interface there are so many buttons its a little overwhelming. Even if I have the wizard-generated package right in front of me I can't recreate it without the wizard. Is there any hope for me or will I have to learn to use the package editing environment?

Old June 4th, 2003, 01:02 PM

If you want to simply execute both packages at the same time, you can simply create a third package where you drag and drop the "Execute Package" task twice.

If you want to actually import the details of the two packages into the same package, that's a bit harder. You can use the "save as" command from the package save both the packages as Visual Basic Modules, then use your expertise in VB to manually combine them together.

Hope this helps you.

Cardyin

Old June 4th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Authorized User

"where you drag and drop the "Execute Package" task twice."

Could you clarify this for me.
I am in the Enterprise Manager, under the DTS folder, looking at my Local Packages.
I see the two I created and then under that is the new empty one.
I can't drag and drop anything from this screen.
The way I have been executing each of these packages is by right-clicking and then selecting execute package.
How do I go about dragging them into a new package?

Old June 10th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Authorized User

Try this: make a third DTS and select the "Execute Packedge Task" for each one of the other DTS pacakedges you want to execute. Or just add the "Execute Packedge Task" to eithr one of the two pointing at the other.

Thanks,
Jesse