Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Indexing.

I have a vary large table that runs slower than cold tar. Are indexes the way to go? It is mostly slow on pulling data. How often should I run them? Data is inserted into the table all the time (some have up to 100 rows added a day and others may have 1000 a day). Do I create indexes for all the fields I search from?

Chris
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Friend of Wrox

Indexes are the way to go because it only searches through 4 levels instead of the entire table. You want to add indexes to fields like phone numbers. You don't want to index a city unless there a a good number of cities ie. if everyone was from New York it would be pointless.

If I'm not mistaken, SQL Server will update the indexes automatically when records change.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to aousterhout

Yes. You should create indices that match your table relationships and your look-up search criteria with an eye on not over-indexing. Your database may provide reports or indexing suggestions. Think also about clustering that physically arranges the records in the index order.

Andy

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to alyeng2000

try to collect queries running on that table and use the index tuning tool to get you the best set for indicies..

Ahmed Ali
Software Developer