Wrox Programmer Forums
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 3rd, 2004, 07:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to rander3328
Default Table View and DB Changes

There are two things bothering me when I open a table in the front end Access 2000 with the back end SQL2000. I am not using Access Project front end. I have administrator privileges on the account.

First the plus sign (+) along side the top relationship work great for the old relationship I created a year ago. This year I have added a new relationship to the top table but it does not show in table view of the DB. Is there some properties that I can change how the 'Expand' plus sign works?

Second also in table view I should be able to change data but I get the "There is another person editing the Db" and I have to abort the changes. I am the only one in the database. I end up changing the data on the server but how can I "unlock" the changes mode?

One semi related item I'd like to include; I have given a user change rights to the DB but the system also reject her changes. She then must open a Access Project front end to make these (Spelling) changes. Even then sometimes she cant make the changes and I must go onto the server to do the corrections.

Robert Anderson
[email protected]

Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to jemacc

1.First the plus sign (+) along side the top relationship work great for the old relationship I created a year ago. This year I have added a new relationship to the top table but it does not show in table view of the DB. Is there some properties that I can change how the 'Expand' plus sign works?

Go to design view and right click table, go to properties and look at subdatasheet properties. Here you can expanded change it.

2.Second also in table view I should be able to change data but I get the "There is another person editing the Db" and I have to abort the changes. I am the only one in the database. I end up changing the data on the server but how can I "unlock" the changes mode?

on your menu bar go to tool, select options, select advanced
check and make sure you have shared option selected
check to see if you need no locks options
check to see if you want to open the database using record locking.

3.One semi related item I'd like to include; I have given a user change rights to the DB but the system also reject her changes. She then must open a Access Project front end to make these (Spelling) changes. Even then sometimes she cant make the changes and I must go onto the server to do the corrections.

see below #2

What version of access are you using?

Old September 16th, 2004, 10:27 AM

1.First the plus sign (+) along side the top relationship work great for the old relationship I created a year ago. This year I have added a new relationship to the top table but it does not show in table view of the DB. Is there some properties that I can change how the 'Expand' plus sign works?

Go to design view and right click table, go to properties and look at subdatasheet properties. Here you can expanded change it.

2.Second also in table view I should be able to change data but I get the "There is another person editing the Db" and I have to abort the changes. I am the only one in the database. I end up changing the data on the server but how can I "unlock" the changes mode?

check and make sure you have shared option selected
check to see if you need no locks options
check to see if you want to open the database using record locking.

3.One semi related item I'd like to include; I have given a user change rights to the DB but the system also reject her changes. She then must open a Access Project front end to make these (Spelling) changes. Even then sometimes she cant make the changes and I must go onto the server to do the corrections.

see below #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - jemacc on 09/03/2004 08:30:12 AM

Old September 16th, 2004, 11:18 AM

1.First the plus sign (+)

This is something I did not know I can do. I think you mean to edit these properties on the server level. I am going to do this on Friday. I this is is suppose to me on the front end (Access XP) I do not think I have that option. I am not working in MS Project. Thank you.
In my obsession I found the relationship was not One-to-Many. I found it DOES matter when I would click-n-hold the foreign to the master field or the reverse. I now watch if the result is One-to-Many or Intermediate relationship Everything works... phew

2.Second also in table view I I get the "There is another person editing the Db"

check and make sure you have shared option selected Checked/Yes
check to see if you need no locks options Didn't make a difference
check to see if you want to open the database using record locking. Yes, with multiple users editing, I think I need this.

Again I have been obsessed with these and under a deadline I found a null characters in the foreign key. This will not happen when the db goes hot but in the development stage I guess it happens.

see below #2

We are all on Access XP that is in the Professional package. The server is SQL 2000 upgraded from SQL7. This problem still haunts me and when this little project is finished I will dive into the users computer. I have been doing everything on AD and on the SQL box.