Wrox Programmer Forums
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old February 1st, 2006, 01:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Timcung

Dear Phil,

Please help me if you can.
I need your HELP! I having problem with link to a text file and refer to the contents by a dot '.' instead of '#'. Everthing work fine if I use the '#' for extension seperator. The problem is the existing stored procedures require the text file to cotain a dot instead of a '#'.

We have 4 servers and 2 were working fine with the text files containing a dot '.', but the other two will always failed doesn't matter if I rebuild the whole server from scratch!

There must be some server setting that allow internal conversion of '#' to a dot '.' or similar. What is that setting?

Has anyone been through what I have prblem with? Below are the actual codes that describe the prblem:

EXEC sp_droplinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname = 'TEST3', -- name of a linked server that the login mapping applies to
            @locallogin = NULL -- login on the local server
EXEC sp_DropServer @server = 'TEST3'

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver @server = 'TEST3', -- name of the linked server to create
                    @srvproduct = 'JET', -- product name of the OLE DB data source to add as a linked server
                    @provider = 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', -- unique programmatic identifier (PROGID) of the OLE DB provider corresponding to this data source, ie 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'
                        @datasrc = '\\Jekyll\CWPImport\PPDirect\AdelaideBank\TD', -- name of the data source as interpreted by the OLE DB provider, ie 'C:\Data'
-- @location = @location, -- location of the database as interpreted by the OLE DB provider
                    @provstr = 'Text' -- OLE DB provider-specific connection string that identifies a unique data source, ie 'Text'

/* create a mapping between logins on the local server running Microsoftc SQL Server and
remote logins on the linked server */
EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname = 'TEST3', -- name of a linked server that the login mapping applies to
                @useself = FALSE, -- name of the login used to connect to the remote server
                @locallogin = NULL, -- login on the local server
                @rmtuser = NULL, -- username used to connect to rmtsrvname when useself is false
                @rmtpassword = NULL -- password associated with rmtuser

sp_helpserver 'TEST3'

------------------------------------------------------
SELECT * FROM [TEST3]...[Trans#csv]
It's return all rows fine.

-----------------------------------------------------
SELECT * FROM [TEST3]...[Trans.csv] (this query work fine on the other server)
Server: Msg 7314, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'TEST3' does not contain table 'Trans.csv'. The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.
OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: OLE DB provider does not contain the table: ProviderName='TEST3', TableName='Trans.csv'].

Please Help.

Best Regards