Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old July 25th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Authorized User

Default Multiple queries at one time

I have been working with Access for 5 years now but I'm just stepping up to the SQL plate so bare with me.

I have a series of update queries that I would like to run routinely against my SQL 2k db. Can I just put them one after another in a stored proc? Or is it one query per proc? If it is how can I call all of them? By writing a single proc to call the others?

What about the programming interface? I mean is there a VBA editor for SQL Server? What if I wrote the queries into a script and had some conditionals in there, would I need to do this in Access and run it againast the SQL tables?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old July 25th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Friend of Wrox

A stored procedure is limited in length to abut 250MB. Stored procedures can contain any number of statements as long as the total length does not exceed this limit.

Find a good text editor to write your code. Or, if you want use Access. Set up a data project to an existing databse and link to your SQL Server database, then you can use Access's designers for creating stored procedures and/or views.

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com

Old July 27th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Friend of Wrox

Access is the unfortunate marriage of a front end and a database. SQL Server is just a database server. That means that stuff like VBA, forms, reports etc don't exist. There is the SQL-DMO API and you use SQL. So no VBA API.

regards
David Cameron