Wrox Programmer Forums
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM

Default SQLMail through webmail?

I am developer and not db admin.

My boss wants that his clients would have possibility to use SQL Mail without installing MS Exchange or any mail server.
I.e. using webmail.
I configured and tested POP3 client (MS Outlook) to use
account
tstvgv@hotpop.com (i.e. webmail with free support of POP3 cleints)
. It is also account name. I added user .\tstvgv@hotpop.com (belonging to administrator ) as start-on account of MSSQLServer (Developer Edition) and SQL Server Agent on my Windows XP Pro (workstation) with MS SQL Server 2000 (Developer Ed., SP3a) through services.msc.

Unfortunately, MAPI Profile added through Control Panel –Mail (or MS, what is the same, through MS Outlook) doesn't appear in SQL Mail configuration and writing its title there gives an error.

I also gave access to user
.\tstvgv@hotpop.com
in MS SQL Server 2000 but when I am trying to connect in MS SQL Server Query Analyzer using SQL Server authentication option with login name .\tstvgv@hotpop.com, the connection fails with:
"
SQL Query Analyzer

Unable to connect to server SQLServerName

Server:Msg 18456, Level 16, State 1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Login failed for user '.\tstvgv@hotpop.com'
"

Why does login fail?
Is it possible to use webmail POP3/SMTP access in SQL Mail?