Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 17th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to sasidhar79
Default Alter Column - Default Value

Hello,

I am trying to alter a table , in this task i need to alter some columns in order to set the default value to -1 or 1 , I tried the following methodology and it never worked , please help me to get the syntax right.

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id =
object_id(N'[dbo].[TestEnvironment]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsUserTable')
= 1)
begin

ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [Name] varchar(100) not null
ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [Other] varchar(500) not null
ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [SerMinNumProcs]
smallint not null DEFAULT 1
ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [SerRAMID] SET DEFAULT -1 int
not null
ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [SerHDID] int not
null DEFAULT -1
ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [CliMinNumProcs] smallint not null DEFAULT 1

ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [CliRAMID] int
not null DEFAULT -1
ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [CliHDID] int
not null DEFAULT -1
end
GO

thanking you

regards
Sasidhar

thanks,
Sasidhar

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to jemacc

if any of your columns already have a defaults constraints you must first drop the constraints before altering the column.

Jaime E. Maccou

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to sasidhar79

Thank you very much I was able to solve this issue , I have done the following...

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[TestEnvironment]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsUserTable') = 1)
begin

ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [Name] varchar(100) not null
    ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] alter column [Other] varchar(500) not null
    ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] ADD CONSTRAINT DF_TENV_SerMinNumProcs DEFAULT 1 FOR SerMinNumProcs
    ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] ADD CONSTRAINT DF_TENV_SerRAMID DEFAULT -1 FOR SerRAMID
    ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] ADD CONSTRAINT DF_TENV_SerHDID DEFAULT -1 FOR SerHDID
    ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] ADD CONSTRAINT DF_TENV_CliMinNumProcs DEFAULT 1 FOR CliMinNumProcs
    ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] ADD CONSTRAINT DF_TENV_CliRAMID DEFAULT -1 FOR CliRAMID
    ALTER TABLE [TestEnvironment] ADD CONSTRAINT DF_TENV_CliHDID DEFAULT -1 FOR CliHDID

end
GO

regards
Sasidhar

thanks,
Sasidhar