Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old July 1st, 2005, 03:28 AM
Authorized User

Default How to backup database to Network Drive

I having a question is how to backup my database into the external storage. i can simply mapping a network drive from my pc and backup database directly to my pc hardisk from the server. but in this case, I need to backup directly go to my external storage, bbut it can't display the network drive for me when i click 'backup database'. what should i need to do?

Thanks and Regards

Jane

Old July 1st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Friend of Wrox

In the Query Analyzer

-- Create a logical backup device for the full database backup
USE master
EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'networkdevice',
   '\\servername\sharename\path\filename.ext'

-- Back up the full MyDB database.

BACKUP DATABASE MyDB TO networkdevice

Old July 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
Authorized User

may i know \\servername\sharename\path\....
in detail.

\\servername is it my SQL server name?

\sharename is it my external storage name?

\how about the \path\?

Old July 4th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Friend of Wrox

I am not sure what you have meant by external storage on your post, assuming it is a shared network drive

Servername is the machinename you wanted to save your backup files on your windows network, backup and SQLdB are the folders on that server

\\BackUpServerName\backup\SQLDB\filename.BAK

Please make sure that account under which SQL server is running MUST have permissions on that network folder (you might want to run your SQL server service under Windows network domain administrator account)

if in doubt check the Books Online (which is installed when you install your SQL Server)