Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
 
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Connection issues from an Access project

I designed a nice user interface using an Access project (.adp) based on a SQL Server 2000 db. It works fine and dandy and now I want to move it to another machine so the data entry technician can begin using it. I cannot seem to get it to work though. It will open but it has no tables and it says it is disconnected. I have tried meesing with the connection dialog but I can't get it to work that way either. I guess I am showing my ineptitude when it comes to security settings. It's just a mess considering we have a Novell login, and a Windoze login, then there are userids and passwords for SQL as well. I tried using the integrated security but that didn't work either. I tried every combination of uid and pwd that I could come up with in the connection dialog box but when I test connection it always returns a message to the effect that the server can't be found or the login is invalid or something like that. I even tried to create a blank .adp on this user's machine and then connect to the db but it wouldn't work either. Am I missing something here, or a lot of things?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.;)
 
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

have you tryied both pipe and ip when naming your server connection. you might only have one of the two enabled and trying the wrong one.

Thanks,
Jesse
 
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Jesse,

You are absolutely correct! That was the issue. All I needed to do was go into the DSN setup, fake a System DSN to get to the Client Configuration, and then make sure TCP/IP was selected, which it was, and then cancel out. That was it! I didn't even make a change, I just opened that screen and hit OK. Apparently Named Pipes is the default and I needed TCP/IP.
This problem ranks right up at the top of the frustration to bullcrap ratio!





Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
connection string issues, web.config file issues kaliaparijat ASP.NET 2.0 Professional 1 June 12th, 2008 08:07 AM
DataAdapter Connection string issues.... lochoa .NET Framework 2.0 0 January 30th, 2007 10:03 AM
SQL Connection/Database Issues fs22 ASP.NET 2.0 Basics 0 August 1st, 2006 03:17 PM
Connection issues with ADP file tdl6281 Access 7 June 19th, 2004 01:54 PM
Access XP VBA compatibility issues w/ Access 2000 bourgeois02 Access VBA 1 August 19th, 2003 04:14 PM





Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2020 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.