Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Default VS.NET 2003 and MSDE 2000 connection problem

Hi !

I'm a new VB.NET programmer, still in the learning stage. To practice ADO.NET data access, I downloaded and installed MSDE 2000 from Microsoft site. I followed the installation process as given in the ReadMe file.

However, after the installation, when I use Server Explorer from VS.NET 2003 IDE, I get a red cross with the SQL Server Instances that I created during installation. Clicking on the + symbol does nothing. I tried to create a new connection by right clicking on 'data connection' option in server explorer and nothing happened. Not even any error message.

But if I use the osql tool from the command line, I can connect to the instance and create and use databases. The SQL Server Service Manager runs in the Notify area of desktop and shows the ServerName\InstanceName.

My OS is WinXP(Pro) and I am using the MSDE RelA for MSDE installation.

Any help please?

Old October 24th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Friend of Wrox

Try to insure both client and server are on the same version of the MDAC. I have had similar trouble with this years ago, upgrading the (older) servers MDAC got the connection working right.

Old October 25th, 2005, 02:17 AM

Thanks for your reply. can you explain it in detail please?

I have installed the VS.NET 2003 and the MSDE 2000 on the same machine (my home PC) and I have installed MDAC 2.8 a few days ago. I dont know how to configure this. Is there any configuration setting for MDAC? Should I use the older version of MDAC?

One other thing (though I don't know if this is related to the problem). When I start ODBC Administrator from Control Panel->Administrative Tools, I get the following error box->

"The ODBC resource DLL(C:\Windows\System32\odbcint.dll) is a different version than the Administrator(C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe).

You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.

Press OK to proceed, Cancel to abort"

Old October 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Made some progress. Looked like two different versions of MDAC (2.7 and 2.8) were creating the problem. Used component checker to find the mismatched files and then replaced the 2.7 files with 2.8. The problem regarding the ODBC Administrator has gone. Now when I refresh the sql server instance name in server explorer, the red cross disappears. I can make new databases and connect to them.

But now the problem is that when i try to right click on the 'Table' node and select 'New table' i get the following error message -

ADO Error: class not registered

Help please.

Old October 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Friend of Wrox

Download A version of mdac, say 2.8 for example. Whatver is the newest version that you have between your computers. Install that mdac on both boxes to get them in sync and then see if you still have a problem. But do this through the normal install don't try to replace particular dll's your asking for disaster that way. The same dll can be in 20 different places, you replace one but the computer could be using another older one in a different location.