Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 20th, 2006, 04:36 AM

Default MS OLE DB Provider For "Sql Server"/"ODBC Drivers"

Hi all

As all of you are aware,there are some DRIVERs for creating DataSources when
you want to build a new ODBC Connection.I want to know the difference between followings DRIVERs:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider For Sql Server
Microsoft OLE DB Provider For ODBC Drivers
SQL Native Client

What's the meaning of each one.? for example i think the first one connect to SQL Directly without interfering of any Middleware so it's faster than the second one.!! am i Rifgt? Please Guide me.

Also i have another question.is it possible to use BDE for connecting to Database BUT DIRECTLY.My friends say that
BDE By Default use some Middle ware to connect to DB so it's
Slow.is it true.?

Thanks In Advance.
Regards.

Old April 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Wrox Author

ZArrinPour,

The OLE DB Provider for ODBC allows you to use a single OLE DB provider to connect to multiple data sources (Oracle, SQL Server etc).

The OLEDB Provider for SQL Server is Microsoft's native SQL Server provider, used only to connect to SQL Server. This should be used instead of the OLE DB Provider for ODBC when connecting to SQL Server since the OLE DB Provider for ODBC provider entails more administrative overhead that the native OLE DB Provider for SQL Server.

SQL Native Client is the new data access technology new to SQL Server 2005. It is a stand-alone data access API that is used for both ODBC and OLE DB. It combines both the SQL Server OLE DB provider and the SQL ODBC driver into a single DLL, yet still providing new functionality over that which is found in MDAC. It also supports all the new features found in SQL Server 2005 such as the native XML data type.

Scott