Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 30th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Default Checking for duplicates

Hi,

I have to run through a list of tables and check for duplicates. The tables have no primary key setup but we expect that there should be only 1 record for a combination of fields.

So for example if I keep it simple and imagine there is a table called customers with loads of fields and in here the uniqueness of each row is defined by the fields salesrepid and customerid so there should be only 1 occurance of eg salesrep xyz123 and customer abc123

What I need to do is somehow look at the table and check to make sure that the above combination of salesrep xyz123 and customer abc123 only occurs once and if it does then note it / report on it.

Any ideas on how to approach it? I imagine I could have a static table containing the tables to be checked plus the fields of each table that make up the uniquness. So if the tables for checking where in a table called checkthese then in there I could have a field called tablename, and then further rows called pkf1 (primary key field 1), pkf2, pkf3 and so on and for the customers table the pkf1 would have value salesrepid and pkf2 would have value of customerid.

I've probaly not made much sense up there but basically what I need to do is read a table that contains tablenames and fields that make up the uniqness of the table and then go and check those tables to make sure that there are no more than one of each record that makes up the uniqness.

any ideas?

tia,

Ruairi
Derry
Ireland

Old May 31st, 2006, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to deepakgnair

To remove the duplicate values in a particular field of a table , u can do the select distinct <field name > into <new table> .......option.To find out the duplicate values, I think, u can join the table to itself(Self join)

Old May 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Friend of Wrox

SELECT salesrep, customer
FROM customers
group by salesrep, customer
having count(*) > 1

Old June 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Friend of Wrox

Or you could cursor through and delete the dupes. This way you don't need to create another table and you could run this while people were using the table.