Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 7th, 2003, 03:14 AM

Default A Basic SQL Server Question

Hello all.
i am finally migrating from developing applications that are Access based to SQL Server. i have a little question:
when i am writing an app that uses Access, all i need is a computer that has the layer i am using (ado, dao etc.), the app itself and the database itself and it runs.
however, will it be the case with SQL Server ?
or every computer that i want the app to work on has to have the program SQL Server installed and running (is the app + database enough or do they need sql server as well).
thanks,
Shaked Sharon

Old October 7th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via Yahoo to melvik

just a part of SQL Server will work! (SQL Server Client Network Utility).

Always:),
Hovik Melkomian.

Old October 7th, 2003, 05:27 AM

what exactly do you mean?
what will work ?
shaked.

Old October 7th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Friend of Wrox

I suggest you do a lot of research before you even think of moving to SQL Server. Judging by teh question, you are not familiar enough to make the change yet. Once you have moved, life is not as simple and you will have to deal with Access issues as well as SQL Server issues for which you have no knowledge.

Pickup a book on the subject and read it hard.

Sal

Sal

Old October 7th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Friend of Wrox

Sal,

I think you're being a little harsh on Shaked. Understanding how to develop applications using SQLServer as a datasource does not necessarily have a knowledge of SQL network communications as a prerequisite. Perhaps a gentle warning that things can be more complex than anticipated is all that's needed, along with some encouragement.
Fundamentally, there is little difference between having a home-grown app talking to SQLServer and having one talking to Access (performance, concurrency etc aside :)), as long as they're both going via ADO. And the best way of finding out what the differences are is not to read books on the subject, but to tinker, break things, and scream for help.
This forum is here to help people who know less than others, not to slap them down before they've even had a chance to screw-up. It's obvious that some people here haven't even programmed in any variety of SQL, let alone read books on SQLServer administration. So be a little more forgiving of people's ignorance, lend a hand, and remember that you too were a newbie once.

And finally, to answer the question: I think what Hovik was saying is that you only need to run the Client Network Utility on the client machines in order to get connectivity - I couldn't say for sure because I've never needed to set up SQLServer from scratch.

Chris

There are two secrets to success in this world:
1. Never tell everything you know

Old October 7th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Hello everybody.
first i would like to thank all those who helped me until now.
second,
i have a question:
i am unable to find anything about this "SQL Server Client Network Utility" you are talking about in your replies. what exactly is it ? a link to MSDN would be nice so i can read about it (or explanation of some kind).
oh and i do know a bit of SQL Server. i AM a beginner, but stil i know something so SAL - dont be so hard on me.
Shaked Sharon.

Old October 7th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Friend of Wrox

Shaked, have you actually installed the client tools yet? If you have, you should see the Client Network Utility in the same program group as Enterprise Manager and Query Analyser.

HTH

There are two secrets to success in this world:
1. Never tell everything you know

Old October 7th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Hello.
i only have MSDE 2000. not the whole sql server 2000.
i created the database from the server manager in vb.net

well do i have this option ?

Shaked Sharon.

Old October 7th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Friend of Wrox

Wait a minute.

You do not need the Client Network utility for an application to access SQL server as long as you are on a Windows network running reasonably recent OS's and you are using the OLEDB provider. By default, SQL server uses TCP/IP and Named Pipes as its default protocols, and these are available by default on Win 2000 and up systems, so you don't need to do anything as long as you are willing to use these protocols.

You will need a reasonably recent version of Microsoft's Data Access Components (MDAC_TYP.EXE), altho XP comes with it installed (2.7).

Here's a link to msdn that discusses the utility:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...iepcc_5trn.asp

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com

Old October 8th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via Yahoo to melvik

sorry my asnwer was for cases if u use BDO not ADO! & Jeff has posted a good answer! MS-SQL SERVER need nothing since it use Network & TCP/IP to connect DataBase!

sorry for my wronge answer.

Always:),
Hovik Melkomian.