Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 20th, 2007, 03:29 AM

Default Enterprise Manager Timeout Query

When running a view in enterprise manager that takes longer than 30 secs it will timeout as default. I can copy the sql accros to query analyser and run it fine but is there a way to change the default time if so how can this be done?

Old March 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Friend of Wrox

The Sql server connection's query time-out defaults to 600, try changing it to a higher value, say 1200 or so. You can do that by Right clicking your SQL server on the Enterprise Manager, choose Properties from the shortcut menu and switch to Connections Tab, and change the value for Query time-out at the bottom of the Tab window.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

Old March 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM

I dont think this is the control for running views in enterpise as 600 secs would give me 10 mins and the views time out after 30 secs

Thanks you for your help and im open to more suggestions

Old March 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Friend of Wrox

May be I overlooked into this. Sorry about that... Query timeout corresponding to EM can only be changed from there. It is for Remote connections.

First of all I would like to know why one would want to run a view from Enterprise manager? What is the error that you see on EM when it times out, can you post it here please?

Old March 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Friend of Wrox

Just played with EM and found this... try tweaking this on the EM, Tools > Options > Advanced > Query Time-out (seconds), where 0 means for ever. See if that helps.

EM is not the best place to have your queries and views tested. The best one is the Query analyser which is capable of handling complex works better. EM always times out to complex queries.

cheers.

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:04 AM

well as default thi sis already set to 0 so not sure what to look at next. my query is pretty basic but is searching through alot of records probably 2 million+

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Friend of Wrox

Then EM is not the right place to execute your view. I have seen it many times with something around .15 million rows, it timed out. So I won't say with 2 million it is good to run a view from EM. Query analyser is the best bet.

cheers.

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Is there any other good software that will give me the ability to design and execute querys in the same application?

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Friend of Wrox

I am not very sure if something else is better than the MS provided tools (EM ,QA) for an MS designed database server. You may use the EM to design, and use query analyser to evaluate it performance etc and execute too. This is how I do.

Old March 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Authorized User

I have used DBArtisian in the past. It's not a bad tool, but costs $$.

You should also try SQL Management Studio. The express version is free to download. For what you are doing, it will connect and execute sql 2000 stuff as well.

Adam Gossage
Lake Wylie, SC, USA