Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:30 AM
Authorized User

Default exporting sql server database to access

Hi everyone,

Is there a build in stored procedure or some way to export an SQL serverdatabase to an access database (*.mdb).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Pankaj

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:41 AM
Friend of Wrox

Why would you want to? It would be far better to use MSDE, which is, after all, the database engine of SQL Server. This would ensure that you keep all the benefits of SQL (as long as you don't exceed its concurrent connection count), and you won't need to rebuild whatever front-end you are currently using - unless it was Enterprise Manager ;).

Chris

There are two secrets to success in this world:
1. Never tell everything you know

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:47 AM
Authorized User

Hi,

It is not that I am moving from SQL server. I should have given more details of what i am trying to do.

The application I am developing uses the data that is on an SQL server. However, most of my clients are mobile and do not always have access to that server for security reasons from outside. Basically, what I want to do is have them go to my ASP.NET page and have the option to have the database exported as an access database so that they can use it when they are mobile. Most of them do not have an SQL server installation on their laptops. So Access is the only option we agreed to.

This is why I need an option to convert it to Access.

Thanks for reading this far :)

Sincerely,
pankaj

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:04 PM
Friend of Wrox

OK, it becomes a little clearer.
As far as I know, there is no 'Export to Access' ability, although there are so many third-party utilities available, something of that nature might exist. You could build a massive DTS system to export tables, and kludge together some way of getting all the views and procs rebuilt in Access, but I still think that MSDE is the way forward. It is actually a freely-redistributable part of the SQLServer install, and also available as part of MSOffice Dev version. The main advantage is that it uses SQL mdf files, so all you need to do is attach your database, and it will work. Obviously you still need a front-end for it, but you'll need to develop that for any option you take.

Chris

There are two secrets to success in this world:
1. Never tell everything you know

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:37 PM
Authorized User

As said above MSDE is free. (Rarity from Microsoft; free stuff!!) It mentions above that you want access to a Web page. Using ASP .NET and SQL server (Or indeed MSDE, which is what I use all the time being a poor student.) is easy in both C# and VB .net. If each laptop has MSDE on it (Approx 70 MB per "instance") then you are laughing. It is identical (In terms of connection) to SQL server. As has already been said, MSDE is SQL Server without the Enterprise Manager GUI.

All that you would need to do is download MSDE from http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/default.asp and run the instal as per the readme (Easiest to use command prompt)

HTH

---
David Thorne, Student
UK