Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 15th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to mtangorre Send a message via Yahoo to mtangorre
Default Table / DB Structure

Hi everyone. I am a relatively new to the architectural side of SQL server, and was wondering if I could get some advice on setting up the following environment. What I have is a web application in which a user can create merge documents on the fly from a CSV file and a document with merge fields in it (Word, txt, html, etc...). Each client can create a job in which 1-100,000 unique documents can be created. For each document created I store a record in a table called tbl_messages. This table can grow to immense sizes as you could imagine... say I have 5 clients using the app daily, each constructing 4 or 5 jobs of 50,000 records each... that is a lot of records. Anyways, my question really lies in the following: I would like to only use this table for transactions I guess... the records staus gets update from 1,2,3 then 4. Once at a status of 4 for each record in a job, the job is complete and that information is then available to be searched upon. Should I move all the records with a status of 4 to a different table, such as tbl_reportMessages or to a new server even used soley for reporting?

What is the rule of thumb when dealing with large amounts of records as it relates to the records being updated, and then just ebing used for reporting purposes? We have some queries that take a very long time to run because of the number of records in the Messages table. Would it be best to have a server dedicated to only housing data to report off of?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Mike

Old June 27th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Authorized User

Hi Mike!!

It is possible to move data for reports only into a dedicated server but also things depend on what architecture u want to follow and what will be the cost implications for following such architecture.. U r right in saying that when there are huge quantities of records in ur database then it slows down the process of fetching records...but then there are many ways of speeding quering data in SQL Server...for e.g., indexing ur database and maintaining relations, using triggers or stored procedures, etc... u can see the speed of ur queries by haing a look into the Execution plan of ur queries and u can change execution plans too for ur queries...

thanks

cheers,
debsoft