Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 4th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Default Importing from SQL Server to test site

I'm setting up a dev/test server for a couple of websites that use several databases. Do to cost our dev/test server is actually a WinXP-SP2 machine.

When I try to import the current data from MSSQL on one server to the dev/test server I cannot do it because the dev/test server isn't a true server. Without the data, a dev/test environment is useless.

I'm pretty much a newbie to SQL Server management (I've done plenty w/ SQL) is there something I'm missing or am I just unable to accomplish this?

TIA

Old June 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Friend of Wrox

What do you mean its not a true database server? Did you install the MSDE? In any case you should be able to back up the databases, move them to the XP box and restore them. Did you install Enterprise Manager on the XP box?

Old June 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM

What do you mean its not a true database server?
I should have said that when I went to import I was able to say which server I wanted to import from, but I was not able to identify a server to import too.

Did you install the MSDE? In any case you should be able to back up the databases, move them to the XP box and restore them. Did you install Enterprise Manager on the XP box?

I have installed the Enterprise Manager, but not the Developer Edition. I did find the SQL Group that was on the other server and "registered" it (I think that is the right terminology), however I see that it gives me real-time data and that isn't want I want. Of course right now I'm in the "crap, do I delete that group on the dev/test server? And if I do, will I blow up the data on both ends?"

Tinkering is good... sometimes. ;)

Thanks rstelma

Old June 4th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Friend of Wrox

Yeah, the only SQL version that you can install on XP is the developer edition.

Once you do that you'll be able to register the server in EM on the XP box and be able to import directly from the other server.

Old June 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Cool - I'll work that first thing in the morning.

Thanks rstelma