Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old November 22nd, 2003, 07:33 AM
Authorized User

Default SQL Server running on XP Prof.

hi,

I installed SQL server 2000 in the OS - XP Prof. as a server, i know that XP prof is not campatible with the SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition, so that I use it personal copy to install to my XP Prof.

may i know that can I install persoal copy to my XP prof. as a server?

after installed a SQL server2000, i found out the pc getting slow when i running DTS package, sometime hanging. and when i click the enterprise manager, it take few minutes to open it, and open database as well? why it like this, am I install in proper way or what?

I won't have this problem on another server that running OS Microsoft 2000 server.

any ideal how can I go to check my OS or Microsoft SQL Server 2000. For you information, i had installed service pack for XP and SQL as well.

Old November 25th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to jemacc

One thing that may be happening is that your backup history goes back a long way and when you open your database or want the properties to view; it has to bring the backup history along with it.

Old November 26th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Authorized User

WHAT CAN I DO ?

Old November 27th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Friend of Wrox

The so-called "personal edition" can indeed be installed on a desktop system like XP Pro and used as a server. However, it will only "serve" a few users and then it artificially slows itself down. The limit is around 5 users/batches executing concurrently. After that, a governor kicks in and the performance will steadily decline. Note that DTS will attempt to run multiple batches simultaneously if it can.

MS does this so people will use the "personal edition" for personal use, and not use it as a server when the (more expensive) standard edition should be used instead.

Also, be sure you have sufficient memory on your system. SQL Server likes lots...

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com

Old November 27th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Friend of Wrox

Remember also that XP Proffesional is not designed to act as a server. Many times I see folks set-up their MSCD on a machine that has a cute screensaver, mp3 files, some type of system doctor software. All stuff that can take over your memory. When you set-up a pc running on a Os that is not a server OS, you have to remember that everything counts. Do not overcrowd your harddrive with useless programs. Get the best machine for this task and do not set-up a screensaver.

Another thing is that XP is much slower than 2000. If you will have SQL Server of any type installed on a machine, you can nhot use this machine for any other tasks. It has to be dedicated to SQL Server.

Sal

Old November 27th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Authorized User

IF USING xp PRO, I CANNOT INSTALL STANDARD EDITION INTO IT, THAT WHY I INSTALL PERSONAL EDITION, IN THIS CASE, CAN I UPGRADE MY MEMORY IF I DUN WANT CHANGED THE OS? HOW MANY RAM IS RECOMMENDED?

ANYWAY , THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Old November 28th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Authorized User

Jane, I have the MS Windows XP Professional OS Version 2000 Service Pack 1 with SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition and MS SQL Enterprise Manager Version 8.0, IIS 5.0 and MS Visual Studio.NET Framework 1.0 and MS Development Environment 2002 Version 7.0.9 as a Development Machine and it's great. I'm in love with it. I choose these tools purposely for a development environment. The description of each of these tools states that it's for a development environment. If I want a Web Server I'll choose other tools.
Can you get a copy of SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition? Our local University bookstore sells them at discount.

Best Wishes

Sandra MacGregor