Wrox Programmer Forums
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Default generate unique id

hi ,

i have a table with name information which contain field

(patient id
name
address)

which contain datatype

patid int
name varchar
address varchar

patid is primary key and his identity is 1

so it contain data

patientid name address

1 john xyz
2 mark abc
3 kam rtg

the problem is that i need patientid in this way

patientid name address

patid_1 john xyz
patid_2 mark abc
patid_3 kam rtg
. .
. .
. .

how i generate id in this format
i have no idea how i can do this .plz someone help me

Old April 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Friend of Wrox

This is wrong for so many reasons, there's not enough room to list them all on this simple forum. However, there is a way to do this without causing the damage it'll do in the future. Create a calculated column that "feeds" off the PatientID column... Something like this...

Code:
ALTER TABLE Patient --Assuming your table name is "Patient" because you didn't say
ADD PatID AS 'PatID_'+CAST(PatientID AS VARCHAR(10))
It can also be indexed and used as an "Alternate key" for foreign key and performance reasons...
Code:
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX IXU_Patient_PatID
ON jbmTest (PatID)
--Jeff Moden