Wrox Programmer Forums
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 19th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to sankar
Default SQL Server Date

Hi experts,
Can u suggest a way? I have a scenario where I need to maintain an event calendar for my site. The event details are entered via an online interface, where two mandetory fields are there: start_date and end_date. If the start_date value is greater than system date of a particular day, the event details is displayed under the 'Forthcoming event section'. My prblem is, not every time I get the exact start_date value, e.g. June 2004. I have to show the forthcoming events sorted by date. The date fields are of date type. If I enter June 2004, it is taking 6/1/2004, which is faulty information. Can you suggest any solution to this problem? Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
Thx in adv.

Sankar Sengupta

Old December 19th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Friend of Wrox

'6/1/2004' is not faulty, it's the input data that is faulty. If you just specify a month, then it's a fairly reasonable thing to do to assume the first day of that month as the day. Same as if you input a full date but no time, SQL Server defaults to midnight for the time. BTW you are aware that your system is using US date format, and you're not seeing a date of 6 Jan 2004 ;)
The solution to your problem is to force the users to input the correct data, ie finalise the event's details before attempting to enter it into the database, or live with a default of the first of the month. There isn't any way to enable telepathy or seeing into the future for SQL server, yet :)

Chris

There are two secrets to success in this world:
1. Never tell everything you know

Old December 19th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Wrox Author

Most non US developers have problems with dates because of the default format, perhaps this is the reason. If I have a string that I want SQL server to treat as a date I either convert it to format yyymmdd with no spaces etc. or even better dd MMM yyyy e.g. 20030601 or 01 Jun 2003 respectively.

Joe

--

Joe