Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:12 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to Adam H-W
Default data type conversion

Hi there

I'm trying to update a table via the UPDATE function (via an ASP page) but keep getting this error

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e07'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Disallowed implicit conversion from data type varchar to data type money, table 'db_shhc.dbo.PPack', column 'FixPrice'. Use the CONVERT function to run this query.

I'm trying to change a value from 2 to 2.5 - I'm not sure why it's disallowing me to UPDATE from 2 to 2.5 - it works fine if I change the data type to varchar in the sql table but I don't want it to be varchar.

thanks

Adam

Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:03 AM
Friend of Wrox

The error message pretty much says it all - you are attempting to SET the value of a column defined as a money datatype to a character string value. This requires an explicit conversion. Your UPDATE should look like:
Code:
UPDATE yourtable
    SET yourmoneycolumn=CAST(yourstringvalue AS money)
or alternatively,
Code:
UPDATE yourtable
    SET yourmoneycolumn=CONVERT(money, yourstringvalue)
Make sure that the conversion can in fact be done, since if your string data doesn't 'look' like a money type, you'll still get an error. You will have to edit the string before you use it in the UPDATE statement to make sure it is a proper numeric value.

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com

Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to Adam H-W

Great, thanks Jeff; will give it a bash.