Just a quick one...
I have looked and looked etc but...no definitive result.
I maintain a legacy database app written in VB6 using SQL7. Now I now that the app works using sql2000. With SQLserverxpress (which would easily serve our needs) using the same connection string the response is "sql server could not be found"...
I have read that sqlexpress should be happy using a legacy connection string etc ie provider=SQLOLEDB.1. But is doesnt..
(1) is this because of the way that I have installed SQLExpress.
(2) SQLOLEDB no longer works..
I have used the native client and that works to a certain degree, however, the app uses a custom dll file with hardwired connectons strings that use sqloledb.
most of the app works but some parts dont because of the referenced dll....
Ideally I would like to keep using the original connecton string..
So far I have not seen anything definitive..ie. it wont work use the native provider...
this is the connection string that works with anything prior to sqlexpress
MyConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=" & User & ";Password=" & strPassword & ";Initial Catalog=" _
& DBName & ";Data Source=" & ServerName & ";Connect Timeout=50"
So question is..is it a server config problem, or a case of changing the connection string and subsequent code