Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2005 General discussion of SQL Server *2005* version only.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to naeem.net Send a message via Yahoo to naeem.net
Default Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server

I spend tow weeks looking for an anwser to this problem but no luck. I have a simple ASP.NET 2.0 application which run correctly on my local machine.
But After uploading all files including web.config file on a Windows 2003 Server with SQLEXPRESS installed. I have this error. Please Help!!!!!!

Error Message

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.

Ali Naeem
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Assuming that you are running this as a real site in IIS this doesn't surprise me. The user account created for running sites will be significantly different from yours on your local machine.

You really should run the database on a real running instance of a database server (regular SQL Server 2005). Or you could run express but set up an attached database instead of using the dynamic attaching that express supports. Then change your connection string to point to the regular instance and database name instead of at the data file.

-Peter
compiledthoughts.com
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to naeem.net Send a message via Yahoo to naeem.net

Hi peter, thanks for your reply.
O.K i will try to run the database from on real running instance.
The connection string that i used is:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="aafaqConnectionString1" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Server=69.72.149.252;AttachDBF ilename='C:\Inetpub\vhosts\babylon-uni.com\httpdocs\App_Data\aafaq.mdf';Integrated Security=SSPI;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=aafaq;AttachDBFilename='C:\Inetpub\vhosts\ babylon-uni.com\httpdocs\App_Data\aafaq.mdf';Integrated Security=SSPI;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
</connectionStrings>

Is that correct?

Ali Naeem
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM

http://crystalrepterrinfo.blogspot.c...stall-sql.html