Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server 2005
|
SQL Server 2005 General discussion of SQL Server *2005* version only.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM

Default Clustered indexes on surrogate keys

I'm reading Professional SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning to try to learn how to get the best performance out of our database. I'm confused by what appears to be conflicting advice:

On page 234 the book states, "Don't Create a Clustered Index on an Artificial Column... An artificial column is one whose value is generated by the database engine... an identity column."

On page 357 the book states, "Clustering on an Identity Column... An identity column in SQL Server is an automatically generated incremental integer that makes an ideal clustered index key."

I am using surrogate keys on my tables and now am confused on the subject. Should the surrogate key be the clustered index key? Or the "business" columns that also make the row unique, i.e. Company, Plant, Production Order, Line?

Thanks,
Gina