Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Visual Studio 2005 For discussing Visual Studio 2005. Please post code questions about a specific language (C#, VB, ASP.NET, etc) in the correct language forum instead.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Visual Studio 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 14th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Default very simple question

I am trying to add some buttons to the Debug menu in my VS2005 IDE. These are just standard buttons that already exist in VS...do custom-written stuff.
So, I have the Debug menu displayed, and it has the little "Toolbar Options" arrow on its right end. If I select that and click "Add or Remove Buttons" and then click "Customize...", I then am presented with the Customize dialog box. I choose the Commands Tab, and select the Debug menu in the Categories list. If I try to add the Step Into or Step Out buttons from the Commands list by dragging them to the Debug menu in the Categories list on the left, nothing happens. There is a little "x" icon next to my mouse as I attempt to drag and drop the button.
It seems as if the Debug menu, and all other menus, are locked against editing. Is there a place where I can un-lock those menus so that I can add buttons to them?

Thanks. I know this is a simple issue, and I will feel really silly when I learn the answer.

Old January 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

You need to drag them to the main menu itself instead. Try this:

1. Right click an existing toolbar and choose Customize

2. Make sure the Commands tab is visible.

3. Locate the desired menu in the left list, and the actual item in the right list.

4. Drag the item from the right list on the Debug menu item of the main menu at the top of VS (not the Customize dialog). The menu will fold open so you can choose the location where you want the item to appear.

5. As soon as drop the item, it is added to the menu.

HtH,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old January 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM

ahhhh....I see.

That does it.

Thank you. It does not function like I thought it would.

Thanks for your help...Like I said, I feel pretty silly.