Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 4th, 2003, 10:53 AM

Default VS.Net Resources

I'm new to ASP.NET and programming. I want to be a web developer if I ever grow up (I'm 46). I've purchased Visual Studio.Net 2003 and the ASP.Net Step By Step book from Microsoft. I've also purchased Professional ASP.Net 1.0 from Wrox but it is still a bit beyond my present understanding. Please offer your suggestions or experiences in regards to beginning and intermediate resources that would be helpful in learning the VS.Net/ASP.Net world. Thanks.

Bruce K Thede

Old June 5th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Authorized User

I would advise that you get a book about HTML if you dont know too much about it, or have a look on Google.com

HTML is pretty easy to pick up, and if you dont know it it will probably make ASP.NET look pretty scary.

A Beginners book on VB.NET (or C# if its your language of choice), such as the MS VB.NET step by step should give you a good grounding of the language your going to use for your server side programming.

After you know HTML (and a start in a .NET language), a MS step by step book about ASP.NET should be more than managable..... I am reading the Web Database Development Step by Step .NET edition from Microsoft and I am finding it pretty good.

:) Hope this helps

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brthede
 I'm new to ASP.NET and programming. I want to be a web developer if I ever grow up (I'm 46). I've purchased Visual Studio.Net 2003 and the ASP.Net Step By Step book from Microsoft. I've also purchased Professional ASP.Net 1.0 from Wrox but it is still a bit beyond my present understanding. Please offer your suggestions or experiences in regards to beginning and intermediate resources that would be helpful in learning the VS.Net/ASP.Net world. Thanks.

Bruce K Thede

Old June 5th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via ICQ to NotNowJohn

brthede,

You have great short courses about the many Web related things on
http://www.w3schools.com/(HTML, XML, Java Script, VBScript etc.)
I think that's great starting resource for you.

Reg,

NotNowJohn

...but the Soon is eclipsed by the Moon

Old June 11th, 2003, 03:30 PM

I second NotNowJohn's recommendation of the w3schools site. There's a lot of good basic information there.

For asp.net I picked up Wrox's "Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 with C#" and O'Reilly's "C# Essentials 2nd Edition" and have been very happy with both.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NotNowJohn
 brthede,

You have great short courses about the many Web related things on
http://www.w3schools.com/(HTML, XML, Java Script, VBScript etc.)
I think that's great starting resource for you.

Reg,

NotNowJohn

...but the Soon is eclipsed by the Moon
Chester Campbell
Slingshot, LLC
chesterc@davidandgoliath.com