Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 1.0 and Visual Studio.NET > VS.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Authorized User

Default Problem in opening a VSS database on remote m/c

Hi,
     I am facing a wierd problem. My application accessing a VSS databse on a remote machine and its working proper on my development machine. Recently i tried to deploy it on production server and it is giving me the following error

The SourceSafe database path dmt does not exist. Please select another database.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The SourceSafe database path dmt does not exist. Please select another database.

I am not able to understand why it is not working on the other machine? i am executing the application with impersonation. i have changed the user in Web.config. as it did not work i even changed it in IIS directory settings and also in Machine.config of the production server. But to no avail.
Any help or hint would be welcomed with great appreciation.

Thanks,
Niks
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Have you checked that the path exists? What is the path you are trying to access? This sounds like a simple path problem. What is "dmt"?
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Authorized User

Hi planoie,
    Thanx for the prompt reply. I have checked that the path exists. And as such the same application is running properly with the same settings on development machine. The web.config file remains unchanged on the production m/c. Also I have prepared setup for the application using visual studio. The development machine is XP and the target machine for production is WIN 2K. Can there be any issues regarding the operating system change? But I tried the same thing on other machine which is Win 2k machine. But this machine was used for development so probably has all the settings required and it works over here. I don’t know what is required.
The target production server will have the .Net framework 1.1 and IIS 6.0 only.I hope the Visual Studio is not required?

The path exists for sure. Even I have changed the user setting to impersonate on the target machine as well. I even tried changing the settings in machine.config also for user imperonation.
The problem is only when i am deploying it on other machine.

Dmt is the name of the user to connect to VSS.
Waiting for further guidance.

Thanks & Regards,
Niks.
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Friend of Wrox

Something doesn't make sense here. You say that "dmt" is the VSS user, yet you are getting an error that says "The SourceSafe database path dmt does not exist".

You shouldn't need visual studio installed on the w2k machine, but you would need the framework and VSS installed.

How is your application access VSS? Thru the VSS API?
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Authorized User

Hi planoie,
Yes my application accesses VSS through VSS API.
And yes 'something doesnot make sense' - you are right in saying so.
As i works fine on my machine but when the same thing with same settings is deployed on the other machine it doesnot work.
And as the MS access database is accessible from new machine there sohuld be not issue as regards the rights. both the databases (MS Access and VSS database lie in the same folder in the remote file server).
The other machine on which i have deployed has .Net Framework and VSS installed. Can there be any issue with the difference in versions of VSS installed in my machine and the machine i am trying to deploy?
And rest of the application works fine on the deployed machine. Its only giving the problem when trying to connect to VSS databse.

Thanks & Regards,
Niks
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
Friend of Wrox

Are the installations of VSS all current? I know there were some problems with pre 6.0d versions but I don't remember the details.