Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 1.0 and Visual Studio.NET > VS.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 12th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Authorized User

Default Help - Convert from C# to VB.Net

I am having trouble converting this C# code to VB.Net. Can someone please help me? I am fluent in VB.Net and am trying to learn C# but I don't understand what is going on here completely, and don't know how to convert it to VB.Net to understand it better.

Code:
 cksum = (cksum >> 16) + (cksum & 0xffff);
       cksum += (cksum >> 16);
       return (UInt16)(~cksum);
Thanks you in advance,

Christopher P. Cooper

It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet."— George W. Bush - Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000

It\'s important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It\'s not only life of babies, but it\'s life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.\"— George W. Bush - Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Authorized User

Hi
I had a look at your piece of code. This code is working with bits (DWord). I am only average VB & VB.Net dev and still can not find way of doing it yet.
At present, I can help only with code breakdown meaning and I hope it would be helpful to you.

1.(cksum >> 16) means cksum's bits is shifted 16 places to the right.
2.(cksum & 0xffff) means cksum AND with hex value FFFF (binary - 111111111111)
3.(~cksum) means cksum added one compliment to its value ie, 2 (10) will equals to 3 (11). When you change it to 16 bits unsigned value (UInt16) this infacts turn it to a negative number.
I wonder what is this code for any how, you probably know C# syntax is similar to C/C++ so it can handle the low level programming. As VB is more to higher level language, I guess I can not find way of doing it in VB yet, from my point of view, this code is more suited to C# or C/C++. If you can do it please let me knows ... good luck.

Cheers
Kasie