Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Default Remoting

hi,
i am using Remoting in VB.NET. I am using the same example givin in Wrox's Professional VB.NET 2003. The problem is if i am running Service DLL, Host Application and Client Application in the same computer then it is working fine. But if i am running client on other computer then an error is occuring the "Host is not listening". Both the computer in windows based LAN, their name is M10,M6. And amongst any of them are not Server. Server name is "TATASRV" and host application and service DLL are not on it they are in M10. Following is the code.

SimpleLibrary.DLL(Service DLL )
Public Class Calculator
    Inherits MarshalByRefObject
    Public Function GetThreadID() As Integer
        Return AppDomain.GetCurrentThreadId
    End Function
    Public Function Add2Numbers(ByVal A As Integer, ByVal B As Integer) As Long
        Return A + B
    End Function
End Class
SimpleServer(Host Application)
Imports System.Runtime.Remoting
Imports SimpleLibrary
Module Module1
    Sub Main()
        RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType (GetType(SimpleLibrary.Calculator), "Calculator.rem", WellKnownObjectMode.SingleCall)
        Channels.ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(New Channels.Tcp.TcpServerChannel(49341))
        Console.Write("Press <Enter> to exit")
        Console.Read()
    End Sub
End Module
SimpleClient(Client Application)
Private Sub connect_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles connect.Click
    RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownClientType( GetType(SimpleLibrary.Calculator), "http://localhost/SimpleHost/Calculator.rem")
    remote.Enabled = True
    connect.Enabled = False
End Sub
Private Sub remote_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles remote.Click
        Dim c As New SimpleLibrary.Calculator()
        txt2.Text = c.GetThreadID
End Sub
Please help me out.

Old June 29th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Friend of Wrox

i feel that in the uri ur given localhost and that is the problem just debug ur code and tell where it is giving err (line)..