Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 1.0 and Visual Studio.NET > VS.NET 2002/2003
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 9th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Default Testing Against Windows-Based Security

I've been happily developing my first, very simple, application on my Portable. I am doing it as follows:

(1) Developing it on my XP Machine with IIS installed locally and VS.NET

(2) I have been using a local account to the machine with full admin rights locally

This has worked great and has allowed me to progress, the problem I have now is I need to start testing parts of the application that involve using Windows-based security - so I can test for membership of groups and hide aspects of the page, etc.

How do I do this? So far I have:

(1) I can log in as a Domain account fine from my machine and this works.

(2) My machine is part of the domain.

The trouble I have when I do this is IIS access no longer works too well - when logged in as the domain account I can hit IIS with 127.0.0.1 - but if I try localhost I get a 403 - Access Denied. This means VS will not open projects either.

I am not confused, I need to know how to properly develop/test against a domain account while still having IIS(etc) on a portable (it will not be copied up until servers until complete obviously).

Questions I have in my mind:

(1) Even when it works, will the fact I am logged in as a domain account be enough to test against groups,etc?

(2) When using Windows-based authentication what says a person can hit IIS? Just that he has a windows account or does he need to be a member of a group somewhere? Or does it allow him with an account and then the rest relies on file security?

Anyway, still working on this, but the level of Windows NT/IIS etc admin knowledge I need just to develop is starting to really fustrate me as its holding me back...