If you are making a post to the XSLT forum please bear the following hints in mind as this will make it more likely that someone can reproduce, examine and provide an answer to your problem:
- Please use the search facility at the top of most pages before posting.
- Please give your post a sensible subject. As this is an XSLT forum subjects such as XSLT problem are unlikely to stand out. Also avoid generic Help me requests. A good subject means the post will stand a better chance of being answered and make it easier to search the archives.
- Please state which processor you are using along with the version, e.g. MSXML 4.0, .NET 2.0 or Saxon 8. The platform your running on, e.g. Windows XP will also help.
- Please supply your source XML or at least a well-formed sample. Make sure that spurious characters, e.g. those appearing in Internet Explorer such as + and -, are removed.
- Please show the XSLT you currently have.
- Please show the desired output. If you can't specify the desired output, especially for complex HTML pages then there's little chance of anyone being able to guess what is needed.
- If any errors occur please give the exact text.
- Please be specific if the output is not what is required, rather than it doesn't work.
The two URLs below have solutions to many common questions.
For grouping problems, especially using XSLT version 1.0 see Jeni Tennison's XSLT site.
For a comprehensive FAQ see Dave Pawson's site.
Dave Pawson's site is especially good for namespace problems such as selecting items in a namespace
or a default namespace
, the most common cause of nodes not being selected when you think they should be.
Joe (Microsoft MVP - XML