Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Default Displaying Chinese in a TextBox

Can anyone help me resolve a little problem.

I'm trying to open a txt file in a TextBox. This works fine with a text file that contains English characters. However when I try to open a file containing Chinese characters nothing gets displayed (I've put in an error message that tells me its 'Out of Memory', which isn't true as the file contains two characters). I've tried using a normal TextBox and also a RichTextBox but still the same thing happens.

My system locale is set to Chinese so any other application displays Chinese characters correctly, it's just these TextBoxes that don't.

I'm guessing theres a problem with the encoding somewhere but it's beyond me.

Please help.

Thanks.

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Friend of Wrox

strange.
try to set the text.Font.Charset = 134 (that is CHINESESIMPLIFIED_CHARSET) and select a font that support that charset like
text.font.name = ChrW(&H5B8B) + ChrW(&H4F53)
is that a unicode text file? how do you read the file and display it? what happens if you try to display something in chinese besides reading from a file?

Marco