Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Default CMS Login problem

Hi All,

Just got the ASP.NET 2.0 instant results book today. I started with the CMS and it installed and ran first time. The only problem is that I cannot login. I noticed in the database that there is two Administrator accounts, this seems a little odd. Next I tried adding an new aacount via the config tool. I was able to add the account but again was unable to login from the site.

Any ideas/fixes are eagerly awaited!

Danny
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Danny,

Whoops, looks like something went wrong with the database. If you look in the aspnet_Applications tables, you'll see two applications: One called / and one called /Cms

The Administrator account (the user) is connected to both applications. However, there is only one MembershipUser connected to an application. In the aspnet_Roles table, there is only one role, connected to a different app than the MembershipUser is. Hence, the user account you use is not assigned to the Administrator role, so you can't log in successfully (to be exact, you do log in, because the Administrator account is a valid account; however, because you're not in the Administrator role, you cannot access the Management folder).

Fortunately, the fix is easy:

1. Start the ASP.NET Configuration tool (choose Website | ASP.NET Configuration)

2. Click the Security tab

3. Click Create or Manage roles

4. Under "Create New Role", enter Administrator (singular form) and click Add Role

5. For the new role, click Manage

6. In the Find User search box, type administrator and hit Find User.

7. Check the box for User Is Un Role for the Administrator role

8. Next, close the admin tool and start your site again. You should now be able to successfully log in.

Hope this helps, and if not, let me know.

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Hi Imar,

Thanks for your reply but it doesnt work :(. The 'Administrator' role already exists and clearly it wont let me create another role with the same name. Also the users (Administrator and another one I added) are both associated with that role.

Danny
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Hi Danny,

Did you change anything other than the user account? And are you using the source based version, or did you install the site under IIS?

For the answer I gave you yesterday, I used the downloadable code, and then opened the Source folder directly from within Visual Web Developer.

If you installed the site under IIS, there's a fair chance you have an application called /Cms which is used for security and membership. In that case, you may need to add an applicationName attribute to the web.config on the Role Provider with the same name as the MembershipProvider (the default is /)

If that all fails, can you retry with the original source, open the source code directly and follow the steps from my previous post?

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old April 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Hi,

I am having similar difficulties and none of the above work. After either IIS or source opening in Web Dev 2005. With the latter once built in the IDE it does not even get to login page just get a server error not recognising my DESKTOP/ASP account.

?? Help!

Russ

Old April 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Wrox Author

Hi Russ,

What do you see when you open the Admin tool? Do you see a user account and a role?

And can you elaborate on this:
Quote:
quote:page just get a server error not recognising my DESKTOP/ASP account
Can you specify the error you get?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old April 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Here is the error once I had built source in IDE. I also had an administrator role defined so am not sure how to proceed here.

Thanks

Russ

Server Error in '/Cms' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
Login failed for user 'DESKTOP\ASPNET'.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
Login failed for user 'DESKTOP\ASPNET'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
Login failed for user 'DESKTOP\ASPNET'.]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +735043
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1838
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Com pleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK) +33
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +359
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection owningObject) +496
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(Data Set dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +121
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +137
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +83
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.Execut eSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1770
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.GetData() +50
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHi erarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +232
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(E ventArgs e) +53
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +72
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.EnsureDataBound () +55
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnPreRender(Eve ntArgs e) +12
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +77
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +161
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1360

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Old April 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Hi,

Probably also worth saying that logging into the other projects is also the same.

Russ

Old April 9th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Wrox Author

Hi Russ,

Are you using SQL Server Express or a different version SQL Server? And did you modify the connection string used in the application?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:50 AM

Hi Imar,

I am able to access the Admin tool, add accounts and roles etc. I have tried with the default clean setup with no modifications but am unable to login. I have also tried to resolve the problem in varous ways but have to date been unsuccessful.

Note to Russ: If you want to see what the admin pages look like you can remove the access security on those folders to enable annonymouse viewing. This clearly doesnt solve the problem but may help you see what the code is doing.

Danny