Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to sharking
Default How to apply the code of book on sql server?

I'm a beginer of asp.net 2.0,I want to know how to app all the code of the book on sql server(example standard and enterprise),I run the onlinedailry sites,But there show some error:
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Thank you!

Old April 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

If you're a beginner in ASP.NET 2, may I recommend you stick with the Express edition of SQL Server for a while? IMO, it's much easier to use in a learning and development environment. You can later easily move those databases to a real version of SQL Server.

That said, look at the SQL Server Configuration Manager which you'll find in the SQL Server 2005 menu. Under SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration you can configure SQL Server to listen to other protocols as well.

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
While typing this post, I was listening to: Trilogy by Sonic Youth (Track 12 from the album: Daydream Nation) What's This?

Old April 27th, 2006, 04:37 AM

:)
Thank you for your answers,I'm very like your book!
I want to know how to config the code of book run on the sql server 2005!
I'm had searched some web sites for the question,But they all said must to edit the machine.config or web.config file,and replace the privider of sqlexpress to sqlserver 2005!
I test it and change the connectionstr in web.config,But there have some error all the same!
Want make friend with you!

Old April 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Wrox Author

Hi there,

The easiest thing is to attach the .mdf file that comes with the book to SQL Server 2005. Then you can use the following connection string instead of the default on you find in the web.config file:

"Data Source=ServerName;Initial Catalog=DatabaseName;Integrated Security=SSPI;"

or

"Data Source=ServerName;Initial Catalog=DatabaseName;User Id=UserName;Password=Password;"

If you want to hook up a new database in SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005 to your application, take a look at this blog:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...25/423703.aspx

But again: is there any reason why you're not using the Express Edition? It's much easier to use when you're learning stuff and developing your application. Once you have a bit more understanding of how things work, you can easily make the switch to the other versions of SQL Server.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old April 27th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Thank you again,I'm use the sql express edition now!
Kind man,I will support you forever!
You book is very strong!

Old April 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hello Imar,

I too have been given the task of getting it over to a sql 2005 server.

However the other admin said he was not able to bringit in since it was sql 2000 database - so I was told to recreate them. Which I did.

However I can duplicate the relationships for the following tables:
aspnet_Users
aspnet_Roles
aspnet_Profile
aspnet_PersonalizationPerUser
aspnet_Paths
aspnet_Membership

it keeps saying that the user already exists, when I cut an past the line from the sqlexpress in the Identity/Name field.

Any ideas of how to get around this?

Thanks, Far

Old April 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
quote:Any ideas of how to get around this?
Maybe, if I understand the problem ;)

What do you mean with
Quote:
quote:duplicate the relationships for the following tables
Are you trying to copy the records from the 2005 database to the 2000 database? In that case, you could DTS to copy the data.

And what do you mean with this:
Quote:
quote:it keeps saying that the user already exists, when I cut an past the line from the sqlexpress in the Identity/Name field.
In an ASPX page? Or in the table designer? In the latter case, what exactly are you doing?

You could also use the aspnet_regsql tool to prepare the 2000 database for the ASP.NET providers.

HtH,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old April 29th, 2006, 03:50 AM

My problem is slightly different. My CD didn't work, so I downloaded the code. However the database didn't come with it. The book says it comes automatically with sql server 2005 express edition, but I have sql server 2005 developer edition on windows xp pro.

Is there anyplace I can download the database?

dennist685

Old April 29th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Wrox Author

WHich database are you referring to??

I think you can contact Wrox to get a new CD if the one that came with the book doesn't work...

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old April 29th, 2006, 05:41 AM

ASPNETDB, at least that's what the book says in chapter 1. It's a PIM.

It also says DiaryDB. I already contacted Wrox about the CD four days ago and haven't received a reply. In any case I had it shipped from the US and it'll take ten days to get here.

dennist685