Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:57 AM

Default ASP.NET Diary Organizer in Vista

I'm an experienced Classic ASP programmer who is new to .NET. I would like to use the diary organizer for an internal office project. However, I'm using Vista, IIS, SQL2005, and Visual Studio Express 2008. (Although, the code in the book was written prior to all of these updates, I believe 2.0 code should be able to work on with these platforms.)

I was able to get the membership to work with SQL 2005 and re-created the diary database in SQL 2005 and connected successfully to the database in VS08. however, when I pull up the login page and try to login I receive the following error:

Could not find stored procedure 'GetRecentDiaryEntries'.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not find stored procedure 'GetRecentDiaryEntries'.

Source Error:

Line 215:
Line 216: diaryDBConn.Open()
Line 217: Dim entrySQLDR As SqlDataReader = sqlCmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnecti on)
Line 218: sqlCmd = Nothing
Line 219: Return entrySQLDR

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\onlinediary\App_Code\DiaryEntry .vb Line: 217

I also receive a stored procedure error (similar to this) when registering as a new member.

What should I do now to resolve this issue and get the program functioning using the latest MS software. The book didn't say the program used stored procedures within the SQL database so I'm unsure what to do. PLEASE HELP. I'm using instant results as way to get better aquainted with the language.
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

Are you sure you are talking about the right book? It certainly mentions stored procedures in Chapter 1. The code that calls this procedure is shown on page 25.

Are you sure you are using the right database? Maybe you are using an empty database? How did you "re-create[d] the diary database in SQL 2005"? If you create a new database, you should also recreate / copy the stored procedures.

Hope this helps,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.