Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old August 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Authorized User

Default Menu not working on server - Bugbase

I have used menu with web.sitemap similar which you have used in Bugbase only differance is first node of url is "" only sub menu items are working.Below is web.sitemap and Menu
------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<siteMap xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AspNet/SiteMap-File-1.0" >
  <siteMapNode title="" url="" description="NetIntegrityZone" roles="*" >
    <siteMapNode url="~/default.aspx" title="Home" roles="Chairman,Director,Manager,Member,Supervisor ,H.R.Manager,H.R.Personnel,Receptionist,Business.D eveloper,Marketing.Executive"/>

<siteMapNode url="" title="Departments" roles="Director,Manager,Member,Supervisor,H.R.Mana ger,H.R.Personnel,Receptionist,Business.Developer, Marketing.Executive" >
      <siteMapNode url="~/Departments/AddDepartments.aspx" title="Add Department" roles="Director"/>
      <siteMapNode url="~/DiMa/DeptDetails.aspx" title="Departments Details" roles="Director,Manager" />
      <siteMapNode url="~/Department/SwitchDepartment.aspx" title="Switch Department" roles="Director,Manager,Member,Supervisor,H.R.Mana ger,H.R.Personnel,Receptionist,Business.Developer, Marketing.Executive"/>
    </siteMapNode>

<siteMapNode url="" title="Clients" roles="Chairman,Director" >
      <siteMapNode url="~/Clients/AddClients.aspx" title="Add Clients" roles="Chairman,Director" />
      <siteMapNode url="~/Clients/ClientDetail.aspx" title=" Client Report" roles="Chairman,Director" />
    </siteMapNode>
    </siteMapNode>

-----------------------
  <asp:SiteMapDataSource runat="server" ID="sitemapDS" ShowStartingNode="false" />
                <asp:Menu ID="mainMenu" runat="server" Orientation="Horizontal" DynamicEnableDefaultPopOutImage="false"
                    MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="2" DataSourceID="sitemapDS" StaticMenuItemStyle-ItemSpacing="0px"
                    ItemWrap="true" StaticEnableDefaultPopOutImage="false" />
------------------------

All first urls are blank so that no hover, only sub menu can redirect.

It is working perfectly on local machine but not showing sub menu on server.

Old August 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Are you sure you uploaded the right files? It seems strange that local and live are so different in using the sitemap.

Is your remote server configured correctly?

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old August 29th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Authorized User

Thanks for reply.
Yes i am using the correct files because as i am login menu changes as per role.only problem is sub menu is not diplaying.If i am not keeping main node's url blank then menu and sub menu both display as you shown in bugbase.I want to keep Main Node blank as it is shown in Starter kit of Time tracker.
I do not understand the logic why local and live shows differant.
Can you tell me what kindly of configeration required for remote serve.

Old August 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Wrox Author

With configuration I mean whether IIS was configured correctly for .NET 2. Since the rest runs fine, it seems that's the case.

Maybe the display is influenced by the different roles? (which you typically don't need in the sitemap unless you want to *add* additional items that a user doesn't have rights to). Maybe you use a different account locally? Other than that I have no idea (except for different / cached files)

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004

Old September 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Authorized User

Yet i had not resolved sub menu issue.
Even i had uploaded bugbase project on server it did not show sub menu.Login name and role display correctly, main menu changes as per role but sub menu did not appearing.Since i am getting user name and roles correctly so i do not think it is a problem of database.
Hoster company says server is configured with .netframework 2.0

Old September 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Wrox Author

Do you have a live URL where I can see the site? It's pretty difficult to tell what might be the problem without seeing anything at all....

And are you sure the remote server has the same users and roles? How did you transfer the users and roles to the remote server?

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars

Old September 8th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Authorized User

I uploaded the same project of book only change made is of connectionstring for live login and password.

The sitename is
www.netintegrityzone.com

I am using Data Publishing wizard with schema and data for generating sql script for local machine and my hoster provides query analyser for copy/paste and execute

Now it is not showing roles under login username and menu did not changes as per login User's role.

I check the database tables role and usersinroles both have data.

Thanks for taking interest.

Old September 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Wrox Author

Hi snbelani,

Have you set the applicationName attribute on all the providers to / both on your local machine and the remote server before you created and synched the user accounts?

If that doesn't help, I am out of ideas. This is something you may be able to figure out by closely comparing your dev and live environment, but it's impossible for me to do remotely...

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars

Old September 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Authorized User

Dear Imar,

I got some clue when we open bugbase project in visual studio it automatically create two apllication ids "/" and "/bugbase" It creates two application ids for all tables of aspnetmembership but not for aspnet_role table. Application id of Aspnet_role table would of "/bugbase" so what happen users logged with "/" id but when role parts comes it did not found "/" application id.

Old September 8th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Authorized User

I put applicationname="/Bugbase" in role provider menu is working perfectly you can see on live but now problem is if i click any items of maintenance of Administrator it show page not found