Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Authorized User

Default CMS editor

CMS editor
Respected Imar Sir,
Recently I buy your book, ASP.NET 2.0 Projects (instant results)...The book is really good...I am using it as reference and as module for my websites...

Sir but I am stuck at CMS editor chapter.. when I run the project I get following error
Code:
Error	1	It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.	G:\Dot Net 12 project code\Code\Chapter 05 - Wrox CMS\Modifications\web.config	32
and error line is
Code:
 <roleManager defaultProvider="SqlProvider"
I know this error is because IIS cofiguration..I really dont understand where I m getting wrong while publishing in IIS
I follow followin steps

1. I installed IIS 5.1 on my XP SP2 proffessional
2. I run the Installer from Chapter 05 - Wrox CMS, I got Cms under the default website

4. Now I right clicked on Cms and click brows...and I got this error on webpage
Code:
Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance.
after surfing on google for more that 3 hrs. I did not found any solution which can help me...
So finally I decided to give you a trouble
Thanks in advance

SUSHANT

Last edited by bela_sush; December 5th, 2009 at 02:09 PM..

Old December 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Authorized User

Post CMS

Respected Imar Sir,

Quote:
You typically get this when the folder is not marked as an application in IIS.
It depens on your version of IIS (whcih you haven't supplied)
Sir my IIS version is 5.1...can you please guide me how to mark folder as an application or any link which guide about this?

Quote:
error (G:\Dot Net 12 project code\Code\Chapter 05 - Wrox CMS\Modifications) doesn't really show the app is installed, is it? Or is G:\Dot Net 12 project code\Code another application?
No sir,this is same application...
please guide me about IIS...version 5.1

Thank you in advance
SUSHANT

Old December 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Start IIS Manager, locate your application's Virtual Directory, open its Properties and click the Create button. If you see a Remove button instead, the VD is already configured as an application.

You can also try setting up your site as the root in IIS by choosing a new path on the site's Properties pages (Home Directory tab).

Also, take a look here for more background information on IIS: www.iis.net

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old December 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Authorized User

Default IIS config

Imar Sir,
Yes I can see Remove button...so i think my VD is configured as an application...
My problem for IIS is still on...but I found a good link because of which I come to know good tutorial on IIS configuration...
here is the link
http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-...S-ASP.NET.aspx
Sir, I came accross same two error pages as stated in that site...I come to know that problem is with permission wizard and authentication mode...I traied to configure both...but still showing same error as
Code:
Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance.
After setting authentication mode with username and password,
when I brows default.aspx
I got page having msgbox as' authentication required' asking for username n password, when i entered them(as i entered in authentication mode in VD properties window) showed incorrect and when I cancel it , it gives me error page same as shown in the link below( last image)

http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-...S-ASP.NET.aspx

any idea what to do now??

Old December 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Look in the Event Viewer as suggested by the error message. Maybe it provides you with more details?

If it's a security issue, make sure the ASPNET account (Windows XP) or the Network Service account (later Windows versions) have permissions to your site's content.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!