Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Passwords from version 1 to version 2

Hello my friends!

I have a site based on the first edition of this book.
My site has 200 users.
I already bought the book of the second version!
I go to make a new site in asp.net 2 but but I want to keep mine 200 users.

My doubt is about passwords...
I read that thebeerhouse uses “symmetric encryption”.
It is possible to transform passwords of my users into this new system?

What is my option to do this whitout asking my users to generate a new password?

Users don't like this...

Thanks.
I liked the first version and I quess that I will like this too!

Max, from Portugal

Old February 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Authorized User

Here's one way you can do it.

Download the Beer House Starter Kit. Get it up and running in the default VS2005 directory with the default MDF file data connection. Never change anything on this site!

Make a copy on which you can make changes. Make changes one at a time. When your new site stops working you can look at the original and figure out the problem.

The use of symetric encryption is a design choice. Change it to use clear text passwords if that's OK with you. Simple.

The bigger problem is that a NET 1.1 database typically had passwords as fields in a standard table. But in NET 2.0 the password and all the other user information are all in one long string field called PropertyValuesString in the aspnet_Profile table.

I suspect that someone has written a utility to help with this conversion. I'd Google it.

Old February 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Authorized User

The password is stored in the aspnet_membership table. Only the profile is stored in the long profile string.

Maxxim:
You can still use the tables from version 1, but instead of using the built in capabilities, you'll have to write the membership and roles as a provider.

Old February 6th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Friend of Wrox

Thanks! I know that i can store my users information in a table... but for this my choice is simple!

I can make a loop that retrieves all my users information from my mssql 2000 database and store this information as PropertyValuesString for each user...

I have to do this for all my data. I have a forum with 2500 replies, 2000 private messages, etc etc

After this task done i can delete my mssql 2000 datatable!

My problem is:
I want my site to be like thebeerhouse, because i think this is the best way to do things in asp.net 2.

But I want to upgrade the system without asking users to choice new passwords...

In ThePhile i have:

password clean -> asp.net 1.1 encrypt -> store this binary field into database.

My Question:
I can have the same encrypton type in asp.net 2 that i had in asp.net 1.1 ?

If answer is "Yes" I just have to make this encrypton type in asp.net 2, and change the database type from "varchar" to "binary"
Then i can pass all the passwords from sql 2000 to sql 2005 express edition!

Am I right?
Are this an efficient way to solve this problem?

Thanks, forgive my bad english!