Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Authorized User

Default Deploying the Site

Hi

Having worked right through the book, I have finally been able to put everything together for a website. However, I am having some problems deploying the site. This is what I have managed to do:

- Managed to create T SQL scripts to deploy the schema and data
- Managed to compile the site into a different local folder by using Build->Publish Web site. This created a compiled copy of the project/solution in the specified local folder. (i.e. with lots of Dlls in the bin folder)

Now I am trying to merge all the dlls into a single dll. I am doing this by opening the compiled project and adding a Web Deployment Project. Although I manage to add the deployment project, I can't build it - error "The application is already compiled". So where am I going wrong?

And once I manage to merge the dlls what comes next?

Also I am wondering if anyone has managed to use the hosting company

http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.aspx. If so any comments on that?

Any help greatly appreciated.

SoloEng
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Friend of Wrox

You can use the aspnet_compiler from a VS 2005 command prompt to consolate the DLLs into one big one. But I personally recommend against deploying with only one DLL. That makes it terribly difficult for you to make any small changes at all. Most of us just deploy source files, and we only deploy DLLs for middle tier or backend objects where required (like for WebEvents).

I'm not sure how you make the SQL scripts, but it can be difficult to do it right. The problem is the image fields used in the aspnet tables. I posted a sticky message here about the SQL wizard for generating scripts and I hope you used that.

Eric

Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Authorized User

Thanks for the reply.

I used to the wizard and your guideliens to generate the scripts and it seemed to have worked.

Ok so now I have got a lot of individula dll files. I suppose I could ftp source file but the how do I do this. I have subscribed to a hosting company. The book seem to suggest freeware filezilla.

Any tips?

Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Friend of Wrox

I use filezilla !

It's enough to upload files!

You only need to know the domain (probably "yourdomain.com") your username and password!

Good luck

Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Authorized User

Thanks. I have now used filezilla.

Old July 10th, 2007, 01:51 AM

Hi SoloEng,

Have you use the hosting company http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.aspx and its "supported authoring tools" such as Expression Web and Dreamweaver?

Happy Tommy

Old July 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Authorized User

Happy Tommy

I looked into it and found that WebHost4Life turned out to be better value for money so in the end I did not use

http://www.re-invent.com/webhosting.aspx

But I will be most interested in any comments if you have used it or are planning to use it.

engsolo

Old August 1st, 2007, 04:25 PM

i've used both of them and re-invent has much better uptime. Actually my site has never been down in close to a year. they also are willing to help you and respond quickly to questions. just my two cents.
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by develop9090
 i've used both of them and re-invent has much better uptime. Actually my site has never been down in close to a year. they also are willing to help you and respond quickly to questions. just my two cents.
I've been using re-invent for some time now without any problems.

I do have 2 concerns with them: (1) their website quotes a 2 week response time for database restoration (2) they do not support the System.Transactions namespace.

theBeerHouse uses the System.Transactions namespace in BLL/Order.cs.