Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Announce: Search Module for TBH available

Ok,

After a few requests for this, I've created a search module using THB structure and made it available for download. It uses SQLServer 2005 free-text searching, so a little bit of research into that might not go amiss.

Anyway, without further ado:

http://www.jamestollan.com/downloads/searchV1.5.zip

There is a brief readme file in the archive. Take a bit of time to register the main points and then give it a go. I've tried it on a vanilla copy of TBH and it integrates straight off, so hopefully it should be a breeze to integrate.

Let me know of any issues (regarding the code, as opposed to free-text setup!!) and i'll try and work thro them.

All the best...

[edit] changed location to V1.5

jimi

http://www.jamestollan.com

http://www.originaltalent.com
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Friend of Wrox

Thanks Jimi!

I am working on articles because i want to improve categories and sub-categories...

In a couple of days i would need to implement some search engine and i'll give to you some feedback about your code!

Best regards!
Max

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Friend of Wrox

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Authorized User

Jimi

You are indeed a resource for the rest of us. But a few questions...

Your search function works I presume for Articles. Does it also search the Forums simultaneously?

I see that many web sites are using Google Search on their sites. What are the trade-offs between these two approachs? Did you consider Google?

Pat

http://weboperahouse.com
http://www.boyleed.com
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Friend of Wrox

Pat,

I did it against forums and articles (and in the case of my own site, homepages too). I decided on this route so that i could have total control over both content and how i implemented the search. i did look at the google api and tho' quite a bit less work, to me, the reliance on google 'spidering' all my nooks and crannies was just to much of an unknown. i also created my free-text indexes based on body, abstract and title, so all facets are being searched simultaneously.

Also, i want to be able to gather stats on searches (words, distribution, dates number returened etc), so that i can present 'dashboard' info on this kinda thing. Of course, with google, i could probably 'scrape' that stuff out, but that's a bit kludgie and the extra effort for me is worth it. Now i can add onto the base foundation of what i've got and tweak it as i go. Who knows, perhaps a few mebers here will modify the basics and make it even better!! :D

jimi

Old August 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to vantoko

Hi Jimi,

I'm glad you worked it out.
Keep in mind what I wrote in my original full text search post on codeplex.
Free text search caches a lot of information so you need to shedule a sql job that queries your DB every x minutes (on my site I do that every 10 mins)
the downside is that not all hosting providers allow you to create jobs

grtz

koen

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

koen - i've got a little c# server object that does just that (it queries the default.aspx, the forums and does a random search in quick succession).

useful also as it keeps my 'site' in cache too. Shame these kind of kludges are required mind you, but i suppose it's a relatively small price to pay.

jimi

Old August 12th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to vantoko

Hi jimi,

could you post the source for that object?

In sql 2008 the caching problem is solved. So when book version 3 is released it might be solved :-)

koen

Old August 12th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Friend of Wrox

keon,

it's actually a 'job' that's run on a company site as part of a scheduled task. However, i'll try and put together some source code that could run on any pc and zip it up for you. i do actually have to hand some old vb6 code that would do that 'straight off'. i could dig that out and see if i can translate it quickly into c#.

jimi

Old August 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM

I downloaded a copy of your search module and tried to incorporate it on my local development site. I just got some error on Helpers.cs file I dont get the codes for "RemoveSpacesFromString:

Could you please help me out by providing code for this.

Thank you,