Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 10th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Friend of Wrox

jminatel - Awesome :)

A few things that I would love to see improved from V2:

- Extra imports were not mentioned by Marco when he posted code. While this does force the reader to do a little searching which might help him/her to remember which namespaces to look for, it'd be a small addition that could save people typing over the code from the book massive amounts of time.
- Downloadable chapter by chapter code. I started off just programming while I read, but at times when I verify my code against the actual TBH code, I end up comparing apples and pears (as we say in Holland), because of all kinds of bits of code added in later chapters.
- Possibly my biggest gripe: When Marco decides to leave out C# procedures/stored procedures/classes because he already covered it, would it be possible to have the book include checklists of codes/stored procedures? I've spent hours trying to figure out whether I actually "got" everything, only to find out I missed something somewhere.
- As a small addition to the last post, would it also be possible to either adapt the code, or the book to reflect the order in which the book covers the code segments? I.e. if in the book the first procedure to be covered is "AddNewArticle, followed by "GetAllArticles", "GetArticlesByID", "VerifySpelling" (just making this up as I go), it's confusing when the actual code has a completely different order.

I might come across as a nitpicker, but I feel that these relatively simple changes would definitely improve my personal enjoyment of the book :) I learnt a lot from the book, but lost quite a bit of time ensuring I covered everything.

Just my 2 cents. I'll still buy 3.5, no matter what ;)

Update: Another issue I would love to see covered is a chapter about SEO within the TBH framework.
Peter

http://entropia-online.blogspot.com/

Old October 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by englere
I posted a query here to do maintenance on the DB to remove the anonymous accounts that haven't been used in the last xx days. I run that on my site monthly.
I have this on my priority list!

When i installed TBH I saw that after some days my "aspnet_users" had some hundred of fields...

So I make a sqlScript that delete all anonymous users with lastActivyDate > than 10 days!

But it's a good question:
All of you that have TBH ruling in your servers please tell here the number of rows that you have for Users Table!

BTW, jimi, thanks for this sqlScript!
But i think that you should increase your
and datediff(dd, LastActivityDate, getdate()) > 1)

It's possible that you have anonymous users that only visit your site at weekend and they will want to see their definitions saved!

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Friend of Wrox

jminatel - Sorry for spamming a bit. But if we are allowed to give some input, there's a few more things I'd love to hear Marco's opinion about. If this is not the place to do so, perhaps it would be possible to have us all ask one or two questions, that Marco then can answer on, maybe?

From a practical point of view, when the book touches AJAX. Will Marco be able to point out potential pitfalls? In my case, I came across a nasty error, which apparently coincides with a predetermined logout event happening. I would love to see the book touch not only the subject of creating new stuff with AJAX, but maybe also enhancing one of the controls already built, and adding some AJAX to that.

Also, I'm interested in hearing Marco's opinion on the following issue. I've been tryng to give this some thought, but so far I've failed to come up with a viable solution. As an example, I'll refer (once more) to forums.

Suppose I want to add one level of hierarchy (or category) above the existing forums. I add a ParentCategoryID to the Forum table, then enhance all the existing code. So far so good. Now in the UI, I would want to use a collapsable panel for each Category, and within the panel, a grid to host the regular forums.

Would the TBH architecture allow for this in any way? (I wouldn't even want to know the exact code; the technique would suffice). What I see as the biggest problem is "chunking" the dataset(s) I return. I.e. I receive one big dataset containing an n number of categories, each with an n number of children. I have to slice the set into individual categories with child entities, in order to facilitate a collapsable control for each.

Techniques like this I could see useful in numerous other sections of the site (anywhere one works with dates, for instance, as it can be used to create categories like "Today", "this week", "this month", "last month", etc. in order to enhance the experience of an end-user.

Cheers.

Peter

Old October 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Peter: No, you're not spamming. Good ideas, I'll pass these along to Marco. I think he's in hiding, toiling away on the work for the next edition even as we speak.

Jim Minatel
Acquisitions Director
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Wrox online library: http://wrox.books24x7.com

Old October 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:From a practical point of view, when the book touches AJAX. Will Marco be able to point out potential pitfalls? In my case, I came across a nasty error, which apparently coincides with a predetermined logout event happening. I would love to see the book touch not only the subject of creating new stuff with AJAX, but maybe also enhancing one of the controls already built, and adding some AJAX to that.
I'm pretty big on AJAX and I'm sure there will be some good examples of it in the next edition. But AJAX is a big subject that is best covered by books devoted to it. Wrox has at least 2 and there are some other good ones out there.

The book "Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Ajax" has the best coverage of AJAX debugging that I've seen yet, and it has some good coverage on the client library and things like that.

Regarding bugs: I've also seen a lot of undocumented interactions between AJAX code and other seemingly unrelated code. That's why I think it's so important to understand AJAX debugging from the client side. It's also important for us to brush up on our JavaScript skills. Again, it's hard for Marco to do justice to all this in the same book that teaches people how to architect and build web sites. The page count limitations make it impossible to cover too much ground in one particular book. Fortunately there are a lot of good Wrox books. Unfortunately, my whole house is taking on a red appearance in recent years :-)

Eric

Old October 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Friend of Wrox

Eric,

Do I understand you already have merged AJAX into TBH? If so, did you happen to encounter the problem Maxxim and I have seen where if a user is logged in and idle for 15 minutes, it would start throwing some pop-ups around?

If you did, and found a solution, I'd be very interested in hearing how you solved it :)

Thanks.

Peter