Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 10th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Friend of Wrox

Hmmm. For your competition, I'd perhaps then not use a poll option, but something more like an article. Or a photo album.

This might be the purist in me talking, but I believe everything has its purpose. When I was looking for a job, I was asked when I'd use a database trigger. I replied it depended on the situation, and the interviewer told me an anekdote where their DBA always, regardless of the question, would think 20 minutes, and then state it would have to be a trigger ;)

If you ask me, sure, you can create a competition with a poll. However, I can imagine it not being very practical. Especially not from a UI perspective, but technically, you're also more or less forcing yourself to bend backwards.

As a technical answer, I really cannot think of a way to cater to your needs. AJAX might do it, but my guess is you're trying to limit network roundtrips. That kind of beats the purpose, so that would not really help too much.

In Winforms, I could easily come up with a solution, but unfortunately, this isn't Winforms.

Cheers.

Peter

http://entropia-online.blogspot.com/
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Friend of Wrox

Peter, you are thinking by the book!

If you ask me where it's the right place to show a photo competition i'say that forum isn't the best place but... everything it's possible!
I give one example, when I made my version 1 i don't had at beginning my articles section, so I posted my veterinarian articles in forum!
This "Forumarticles" had 200 visits by month.
When i moved to articles section, this same articles had a couple of visits by month...

With this I tell you all!
80% of my visitors enter right to the forum!
I only have my articles sections because my forum it's private(for unanimous) and I want to my articles wrods be listed on search engines...

But maybe PhotoCompetitions was a bad example, i just wanted to give you an example to show you that I don't know the future... And I don't want this limitation and gave you first example that came to mi mind! ;)

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Friend of Wrox

Maxxim,

Actually, my reply was given as a critical customer, rather than a programmer. The programmer in me definitely would agree with you. Everything should be dynamic, damnit.

However, the end-user in me tells me that if I would end up on a website that presents me with a poll with more than 10 options, I'd most likely not even bother reading all the answers. The marketeer in me tells me that if I'd get results back from polls with more than 10 options, I'd never be able to properly analyze the data.

I've created numerous things in the past that technically were pieces of art. And yet, the usability was horrible, and I ended up trying to compromise between the two. I see the same thing happening with WBH. My girlfriend works with Photoshop and graphics a lot, and she'll point out little things in the site that irritate the hell out of her. Me, I frankly could care less if the text in my newsletterbox doesn't perfectly line up, or if the first paragraph indents, while she'd lose sleep over it ;)

I am however surprised to hear your article got more response in the forums. That'll be interesting to do some analyzing on in the TBH architecture.

Cheers.

Peter

Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Friend of Wrox

Peter, Look at this:

http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlT...orderList.aspx

This is a nice AjaxControl to insert Poll Questions!!

Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Friend of Wrox

Maxxim,

Neato :) I have yet to dive into the AJAX stuff. I've got a few days off next week, and will definitely try having a peek then. I'm still a tad reluctant to actually implement it though, mostly due to the pop-up toruble we both experienced.

My *guess* so far is that it is somehow connected to trouble with cookies auto-logging off users after 15 minutes or so. Did you still have the same errors, or did you find a workaround? (I've found some article by either Scott Guthry or Scott Mitchel dealing with differences between session and authorisation cookies (If I'm not messing up stuff now), that I think might pose a solution. Will keep you updated if I find anything :)

Peter

Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Friend of Wrox

I posted this doubt here on the asp.net forums But don't had a successful hawser yet!

If you navigate into your page and make some request 5minutos to 5 minutes you preserve your login for the time you want right?

Maybe we added more lines from the Ajax Page Web.config than we needed !

When I have some time I will make some experiences.

oooshola and some others that have ajax ruling with TBH could gives a little hand on this!