Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Wrox Author

Too bad you can't get debugging working.

It would be interesting to see what exception is being thrown.

Maybe remove the try-catch for the time being so the exception will bubble up to the UI, and you can read it off the YSOD.

Code:
if (this.PostHelpedYou)
{
   ClickThanksButton(); 
}
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Dumond For This Useful Post:
MikeNorCal (December 20th, 2008)

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Authorized User

I finally got the right person at godaddy.com who got me working.... however with CDOSYS. They also support CDO.Message..

For whatever reason, we couldn't make this work with the code from TBH, but now that I have it working, I'll go back and try all the variable/alternatives.

My last attempt with the TBH code was an error message sting that I had an invalid mailbox or some such....

Not sure why System.Web.Mail works and System.Net.Mail doesn't, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it now... it's probably just in how I'm passing which variables...

Old December 20th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Authorized User

After all this... it turns out that godaddy.com doesn't support smtp relaying from msn.com, hotmail.com, sbcglobal.net, yahoo.com, aol.com....

3 wasted days. System.Net.Mail works fine on their system. I've been testing with my sbcglobal address! Worked fine with addresses not on the list.... and of course it's not documented anywhere in godaddy's help screens. Sharp Tech Support woman, though - she searched until she found my problem.

And serious Thanks! to Lee for putting up with my lack of knowledge.

Last edited by MikeNorCal; December 20th, 2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old December 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Wrox Author

System.Net.Mail is a core part of the .NET Framework, so any server running 2.0 or higher would of course support it. However, I didn't want to belabor the point, since you seemed to get it working with CDO.

I should have suspected this may have been the cause. I know many providers don't allow relays through hotmail, yahoo, aol etc. because of excessive spam from freebie accounts, but it never even occured to me that sbcglobal might be a blacklisted domain as well.

Code:
if (this.PostHelpedYou)
{
   ClickThanksButton(); 
}

Old December 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Authorized User

Thanks again for your help Lee.

As for blacklisted domains, not only is sbcglobal a surprise, but the tech support people at godaddy are pretty sharp and I'm surprised it took this long to realize this was why it didn't work. And shame on me for not trying other addresses.

I wish there was a way to write a validator to recognize the wrong domain and flash a failed validation, but that seems to be difficult. I tried a few things but couldn't make it work. Or I should say it worked on my local machine, but not on the hosted site. Debugging the hosted site would be a nice luxury to understand what's happening, but that seems beyond hope.

Regarding debugging locally, I realized that my IE wasn't set for debugging scripts - saw this while the Debug session in my VS was starting. I changed that in the browser, but still no luck in step through debugging....

Clearly, this whole thing is a communist plot to overthrow the youth of America. I can't exactly say I'm one of the youth anymore, but just cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean VS and godaddy aren't out to get me....